What I Wish I Knew When I Started

Highlighted

Hey Everyone,

Working on first Shopify App for the public Shopify App Store.  

What did you wish you knew when you first started?

Thanks in advance.

Download our Notifications app for FREE to help store owners through Covid-19 - Notifications By Mokool
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I wish I knew how much work I was getting into.  Most developers think in terms of coding for the problem or making the enhancement come to life.  But the reality is that you will spend far more time dealing with housekeeping chores like installation, billing, on-boarding and compliance.  The amount of code you write to address housekeeping will far surpass your core logic that presents the actual solution you envisioned.

I wish I had known that you need a robust and dedicated web server to handle the data keeping for your App.  In my App I utilized a wordpress site that could host the app's landing page, the shop's individual data storage, the App's Logo, client-server interaction and real-time software delivery.  Shopify Apps are clients and you need a robust server to handle all sorts of needs.  My App is constantly leaning on the server for basic support.  Think about the back end systems that you need to code.

Theme differences will drive you nuts.  A never ending chore of chasing differing theme minutia will make you shy about releasing.

Learn Bootstrap 4, jQuery, Javascript, AJAX semantics and in my case PHP.  You will spend more time on UI/UX than logic.

There is so much more than this, but that's it for now.  If you need help with the Back End, I can be hired.

Tim Jackson

Fahmah Jackson Software Developer.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Thanks for sharing Tim. I will keep all that in mind.
Download our Notifications app for FREE to help store owners through Covid-19 - Notifications By Mokool
0 Likes