What permissions do I need as a staff member to install an app in a store?

Shopify Expert
57 0 17

Hi All,

As a Shopify app developer I bet at some point you had to go into a customer store and debug your apps on their end to fix certain issues. In this case the store owner usually creates a staff member for you with permissions to the Configuration -> Applications section. But this does not seem enough to be able to install an app in their store. Why would you need to install an app? You must have a debug version of your app which works with your localhost. An this is the app I need to install.

My question is, do I need an administrator account to install an app in a customer store? Because being a staff member with just permissions to the Apps section does not seem to do the trick.

Thanks

Beautiful and responsive Shopify themes crafted with care at www.kabukithemes.com.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
109 0 16

Hey there! 

Only the staff member listed as the Account Owner can install apps currently. Because some apps have fees associated with some of them, the owner needs to approve the charges before they can be installed.

Although some apps are free to install and use the account owner still needs to approve their integration regardless. 

I hope that helps clear a few things up! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers, 
Bob O. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
57 0 17

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarification!

One thing I noticed is that if I am a staff member with no permissions limits set, then I can install free apps, i.e. the ones that do not add app charges.

Best Regards,

MIlen

Beautiful and responsive Shopify themes crafted with care at www.kabukithemes.com.
0 Likes