Why does Shopify allow apps to list as FREE if they only offer a free option on development sites?

whywhywhy
2 0 0

I appreciate app developers who offer a free trial for development sites, however if your app only offers a free pricing option for development sites you should not be able to categorize under the FREE category.

The app store is completely clogged up with paid apps listed under the free category and you have to click into each individual app just to determine if there is actually a free pricing option available for production sites.

I'm just blowing off steam because I'm wasting my day trying to find truly free apps. Stupid decision on Shopify's part, but I know the app store is their bread and butter so why would they improve user experience at the cost of profits.

0 Likes
TungDao
Shopify Partner
243 10 33

Hey man,

We all need money to live. Free apps are like free lunch, they are not completely free, and you as an entrepreneur should know it more than anyone else.

Avada is an e-commerce solution provider based in the heart of Vietnam where the best developers unite. Founded in 2017 by Mageplaza, Avada is responsible to complete the mission to help 1 million online businesses grow revenues.
0 Likes
Aizada
Shopify Partner
381 34 153

Hi @whywhywhy 

The apps listed there most likely have free plans available and if you want to utilize full package of functions you can upgrade to paid plans. I have not seen apps in the free section that do not offer any of their features for free, Shopify controls their categories quite carefully. 

For example, Growave has 10 features and 3 of them are available on free plan (Reviews, Social Login and Wishlist) and it is listed in free apps as well. 

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Sharing + more 

Increase conversions with ease here
0 Likes
whywhywhy
2 0 0

Thanks for your reply, as it's more substantive than the previous reply. I understand limited free plans, and also completely understand why a developer would opt for no free plan at all. But there are 48 "free" apps under the category "Product Options". 13 of those 48 apps fit one of these two scenarios:

* Only free on development sites

* Free to install but costs money to actually implement even a single feature (either ala carte usage, volume based usage, etc.)

That doesn't feel carefully controlled on Shopify's part at all.

0 Likes