Why does it take so long for an app approval?

Shopify Partner
56 0 2

Why does it take so long for an app to be approved? We submitted our app on 21st April 2018. It's 30th April and we haven't received any update yet.
This is frustrating as we are incurring a loss to our business.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
118 0 16

The Shopify Apps team receives hundreds of app submissions a week, and on top of this, they are also having to re-review every single app in the Shopify app store to fit the new app store guidelines. This is literally thousands of apps. You likely will be waiting longer than the 3 week timeframe, since I know some already published Shopify developers (whose apps have thousands of users) whose new apps weren’t reviewed until 6 weeks after submission. Just a heads up - you aren’t guaranteed to be approved – I think it’s something like 98% of app submissions aren’t published, so be prepared that you might not even be published in the app store.

You were informed that your estimated date is May 7th – it’s April 30th, so why the frustration? You submitted your app just over a week ago. What terrible losses are you suffering from not being in the app store if you weren’t in the app store to begin with? You still have the option of privately marketing your app, so why not go with this method for the time being? Hit the ground running – join forums, groups, cold call Shopify merchants to get users for your app. We did this during the approval process and gained a solid userbase before even being published.

My best advice right now is to be patient and be polite to Shopify.

Co-founder, Intuitive Shipping
1 Like
Shopify Partner
56 0 2

Thanks for the info. Sharon.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
56 0 2

Looks like i came across as impolite. i am getting impatient but did not have any intention to be impolite. also some good points that you mentioned on how to start builidng user base even before the release. Thanks for that. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

It can easily take five or more weeks so be patient. It may look long but in reality it was very positive experience for us and our app got better during the review process.

We submitted https://apps.shopify.com/photo-toolbox on 21st March, it got published on 25th April.

Publishing second app is many times easier since you know what to expect :)

https://apps.shopify.com/photo-toolbox
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 0 2

@Sharon5

Any suggestions where to get a list of Shopify merchants to cold call or may be even engage with?

Reply will be greatly appreciated.

@Sharon5 wrote:

The Shopify Apps team receives hundreds of app submissions a week, and on top of this, they are also having to re-review every single app in the Shopify app store to fit the new app store guidelines. This is literally thousands of apps. You likely will be waiting longer than the 3 week timeframe, since I know some already published Shopify developers (whose apps have thousands of users) whose new apps weren’t reviewed until 6 weeks after submission. Just a heads up - you aren’t guaranteed to be approved – I think it’s something like 98% of app submissions aren’t published, so be prepared that you might not even be published in the app store.

You were informed that your estimated date is May 7th – it’s April 30th, so why the frustration? You submitted your app just over a week ago. What terrible losses are you suffering from not being in the app store if you weren’t in the app store to begin with? You still have the option of privately marketing your app, so why not go with this method for the time being? Hit the ground running – join forums, groups, cold call Shopify merchants to get users for your app. We did this during the approval process and gained a solid userbase before even being published.

My best advice right now is to be patient and be polite to Shopify.

1 Like