Why is cookie consent (per GDPR) not core Shopify functionality?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Thanks a lot for your answer @aj007 ! Let's hope Shopify actually is working on it and will release it soon...

All the best

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
109 3 4
Hi, Shopify is an eCommerce platform worldwide. So it doesn't only focus on EU market. So it's not their core function. But a lot app company developed GDPR cookie bar for Shopify. So did we, Shopify already approved our GDPR cookie bar. here it is: https://apps.shopify.com/gdpr-bar?utm_source=shopifyforum&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=songfei It has 3 main functions: Notify User of Cookies on Site Show your customers that the site uses cookies by banner, users will feel that they are respected. Increase their favorability of your site. Avoid Paying Penalty Charges The EU GDPR Cookie Bar informs the customers that you are using cookies, so you don't have to worry about paying high penalty charges. Cookie Consent Banner Present customers a banner asking for their consent for the cookies used on the store. Full customize of the bar types. And you can find more in the instruction
0 Likes
Pathfinder
103 8 16

I have also created a fully customizable one that uses code in the themes section.  It can be viewed here if your interested.  demo.ecomdev.ca

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

@earth9 wrote:
Hi, Shopify is an eCommerce platform worldwide. So it doesn't only focus on EU market. So it's not their core function. But a lot app company developed GDPR cookie bar for Shopify. So did we, Shopify already approved our GDPR cookie bar. here it is: https://apps.shopify.com/gdpr-bar?utm_source=shopifyforum&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=songfei It has 3 main functions: Notify User of Cookies on Site Show your customers that the site uses cookies by banner, users will feel that they are respected. Increase their favorability of your site. Avoid Paying Penalty Charges The EU GDPR Cookie Bar informs the customers that you are using cookies, so you don't have to worry about paying high penalty charges. Cookie Consent Banner Present customers a banner asking for their consent for the cookies used on the store. Full customize of the bar types. And you can find more in the instruction

You clearly haven't read any post in this thread. Your app doesn't solve any of the problems mentioned and as said before by the OP, does more harm than good for Vendors who focus on the European market.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
103 8 16

For Shopify to track the acceptance they would need to attach that information somewhere.  If the Customer is not logged into an account, then its anonymous Information.  Also (and i'm not sure why) not everyone uses Google Analytics.  In Addition to this, since Cookie bars are not default, its hard to force the information.

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106716?hl=en#AllClicks

The Above link shows how to add Custom Collection of Information, and could be attached to your "Accept" Button.  You could make it a popup as well (like Age Verification) saying if they do not accept, they can not enter and have it Redirect to another site if they say no.  But Again this would need to be setup on a per use basis since it could change from Theme to theme, or app to app, not to mention the custom settings in Google Analytics.

I will see if I can get the Basis of it setup in my cookie bar.  Right now I use Facebook Tracking in it (optional, and experimental) but I will see if I can get mine setup accordingly.  Its a very fair point seeing that they can call for proof.  Being in Canada, and serving Canada and the USA with my stores its not something I had to dig into much myself.  But I will try to get my Code updated.

Best Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 25

Thanks @finnhartwich - agreed it sounds like another 'more harm than good' app :)

Note you don't have to 'focus' on the European market for GDPR to be relevant. You just need to have at least a few customers in the EU... and Ecommerce News claims 'Ecommerce sales in Europe grew to 621 billion euros in 2019' - so chances are very good that you do have some!

0 Likes