Why is cookie consent (per GDPR) not core Shopify functionality?

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I had to laugh so hard as i read "users will feel that they are respected" 

Wow. Just wow. There are laws, and App-Developers talk about that at leas someone "feels respected"

When the court asks us if we set those cookies, I will say "Yes, but we told them so they felt resprected"

:D

Made my day! 

It can only be solved by shopify and is indeed a core functionality, which has to be there for EU-Users (even for US Stores!) 

1 Like
Highlighted
6 0 0

@ui-gab wrote:

Unfortunately there is not a simple answer for you.

You can check on Shopify's white paper here: https://help.shopify.com/pdf/gdpr-whitepaper.pdf

Background Info:

Who tracks data:

Shopify

Google Analytics (if installed)

Others (facebook pixel, ...etc)

In technical terms.

All apps load asynchronously or after the shop has loaded. So you cannot stop Shopify from tracking your information with an app alone. And that includes your google analytics tag that you've attached.

That also presents a separate issue with tracking on the checkout pages as those pages do not allow you run apps. If you can't run apps, there is no way to stop the tracking codes from firing on those pages.

Theoretically, if an app can modify the theme template then it could insert javascript that blocks the tracking code from firing. But that still makes it impossible to users from being tracked on the checkout page. 

On Shopify plus I believe you can create a custom checkout page, where you can then ask for consent for the tracking code.

Summary:

A possible solution would be to modify your theme and custom checkout page (on Shopify plus) to verify if user has consented to your data collection.

Whether anyone has actually done that yet. I'm guessing probably not on a large scale.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

@aj007  @ui-gab So there is no way that I can set at least prior to consent google analytics code that I manually entered?

How do people in Europe handle cookies? Are they all set to necessary?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
28 0 38

RE: "How do people in Europe handle cookies? Are they all set to necessary?"

Not sure I've seen any Shopify cookie consent Apps that offer 'levels' or 'categories' of tracking - e.g. like OneTrust/etc. offer 'Necessary, Functional, Marketing, Social Media, etc.' There may well be some such Apps, and if they're honest then they'd have a rather broad 'Necessary' category, that actually translates into 'Unavoidable because only Shopify has the power to not fire these tracking codes.'

I fear most Shopify merchants 'handle cookies' by installing Apps that claim to be GDPR compliant, and even get good reviews... but actually are just useless decorations offering a false sense of security.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Yes I understand. 

But professional firms that are working with Softwares for dropping cookies in every possible website claim that you can at last set prior to consent 3rd party scripts like Google analytics and Facebook pixel that you manually insert.

You basically need to edit a code in Shopify "edit code" section.

Any information about that?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not necessarily, after a bit more research, I believe alot more app developers embed code onto the website than intended. Meaning that they have installed the code via a blocking javascript. So there could be potentially some cookie GDPR compliant apps, if they are done properly.

If you want to to determine if app built by one of these app developers is actually GDPR compliant, you will A. have to believe them, or B. do some investigative digging on a technical level to see which one actually does everything that is compliant with GDPR. You will probably need some sort of web developer to dig into the small details of the app to see if it actually does what it is advertising.

Technical digging will probably involve: installing the app(s, until you find one that does as advertised).

Check that it:

• during load, it blocks and prevents other cookie tracking from firing until the user has accepted the right cookie selection
  • tracks each user that has explicitly accepted the cookie vs those that have rejected it
  • and a bunch of other GDPR and now CCPA related requirements

Cheers,

Gab

ui-gab
https://www.uiavenue.ca
We specialize in data analytics. If I've helped you today, please give our give our app a try (15-day free trial) https://apps.shopify.com/ui-ave-analytics and maybe write a good review.
Send me a message if you want a free data analysis consultation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

You can create one for free using google optimize.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you for posting the link to the app you are using. I hope Shopify will have a solution. it must be part of the out of the box store setup. i wish you much success with your Store.

0 Likes