Why is it prohibited to ask for Shopify URL?

hvs69
Tourist
7 1 1

In our web application, when the user wants to link a Shopify store with our platform, we ask for the Shopify URL and perform Oauth request as described in Shopify authentication procedure. 

However, we got following feedback from the approval team:

When encouraging a merchant to install additional apps or connect the app to another store, apps must use the standard install process initiated from the app listing. You can't request a merchant's .myshopify.com URL. See this screenshot for additional details. All store information must be acquired through OAuth.

Is this a new regulation? Almost every other app that we have seen asks for Shopify URL during the integration process.

Are we supposed to just provide a link to our Shopify app listing instead of asking for the store URL? Our app is not even published yet, so we don't have a link as of now. What do we do?

kasblks
1 0 1

Well I'm exactly in the same situation , I wonder if you had an answer for your enquery.

it would be great to see how you sort it out.

hvs69
Tourist
7 1 1

Well, to comply with this new requirement, we are providing hyperlink to our shopify app (in shopify store) to our users. We are not asking for the shopify store URL. 

However, it is unfortunate that Shopify is selectively imposing this new rule on newly submitted apps while the old legacy apps continue to ask for Shopify store URL during app installation process. 

0 Likes
dror1
Tourist
9 0 1

So Oauth request are not in use any more? the flow now is to click on link to my Shopify app and install it from there? 

How can I get the link to my Shopify app..?

0 Likes
jordanholmes
Shopify Expert
12 1 4

Oauth is still used to install and access a merchants data.

Shopify simply want you to go through the app store listing for installations - maybe for collecting analytics, better security, coverage under t&c's etc

You should be able to get the  link from your app listing page in the partners dashboard

0 Likes
dror1
Tourist
9 0 1

But what if my app is unlisted...?

0 Likes