Xero/Shopify Integration Options in Response to Bold Price Gouge

Tourist
5 0 4

As many of you who use Xero know, Bold is now charging an outrageous amount to simply transfer data from Shopify to Xero - it is more than our Shopify and Xero subscription combined.

A lot of people seem to be upset based on the reviews that I've read.  I'd love to start a discussion of any other options that people use and like to transfer Shopify data to Xero.  I have seen a few other apps in the app store, but they seem unfairly priced as well.

2 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 3

The problem is, there currently are no alternatives that don't already charge a ridiculous amount of money (here is an excellent opportunity for API developers to come in and make some huge money by offering a much cheaper integration alternative!), and that is why Bold is doing this. 

Here are 2 thoughts and some information:

1. What I would like to know is if Shopify, who sold its integration with Xero to Bold a few years back is going to re-release an integration for us?? I have always viewed Shopify as ethical and very helpful in the treatment of their clients/customers so I HOPE it never crossed their mind that Bold would do this to us when they sold the integration to them. In that regard, to keep their customers happy and keep Bold from getting away with being so greedy (read #2), I hope they are discussing an alternative for us.

In my opinion, and most other users', integrations with accounting software should be included in the price we pay for Shopify. I would even be willing to pay $5/month for maintenance as I understand updates have to be maintained.  So let's look at the numbers:  If, (in 2017) "Shopify [had] 500,000 merchants in 175 countries selling through its platform, and is still growing,..."   $5/month x 500,000 = $2.5million dollars... A MONTH!!  I am confident they can hire a division of people to work all the different accounting integrations with their software to fix this for us.  Just sayin.

2. It DOES feel like we have been extorted by Bold over this. The other aspect of this that really irks me (and it will you, too, if you don't already know) is that Bold received $22 Million  CAD ($16.5million USD) in Series A round one funding back in January just as they were announcing this huge rate hike for all of its users!  Seriously?!  You get $22M CAD and feel that you need to stick it to your users that help build you?  But don't blindly trust me.... read the links below.

https://betakit.com/shopifys-largest-app-developer-raises-22-million-to-build-the-middleware-for-all...

and 

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/16/bold-commerce-raises-16-5-million-to-bring-ai-to-ecommerce-stores...

It is deceptive and unethical to offer free integration for years and then to suddenly tell the store owners they are now going to have pay upwards of $59.99 a month for the same integration (upwards $99.99/month if they have a great selling month and go over their pricing tier).  They know that most people are not accountants.  They know that shop owners don't have time to figure this stuff out when they are trying to sell their products. They know that the shop owners will have little choice but to continue on and pay want they are demanding for their service.

As for me, I am manually entering my data for now.  It is a royal pain for sure.  I am hoping that someone will quickly come up with a workable solution or Bold grows a conscience.

Please post if someone finds a great solution to this!

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

Thanks for your response.  I can confirm that neither Shopify, nor Xero, cares one bit about this.  I have been told multiple times by both companies that it's not their problem.  I keep hoping they will realize they are both going to lose customers as a result of Bold's actions, but they seem to have bigger concerns.

I agree - this is an exceptional opportunity for an app developer to come up with a $5/month solution and make this Bold app obsolete.  I would certainly switch over.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
32 1 3

@bkaram  @Roshan_Richards 

I represent an app developer team. We recently completed the app for QuickBooks which got published to the Shopify store last week.

While we are no match to Bold in terms of team size and deep pockets, we are trying our best to provide the best quality.

We are also working on an app for Xero. It is in progress. I would like to get some early feedback from you guys if possible regarding the problems you are facing with your current options.

Can you share your contact details to discuss further? 

Thank you.

0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 3

I would love to.  I would rather you post your email and I will contact you privately.  Thanks!!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
32 1 3

My id is kumar@parextech.com

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

This is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping to bring about by posting - thank you for responding!  I will be happy to reach out to you personally.

The vast majority of people need one thing - transfer of data from Shopify to Xero, and that's it.  This should be free.  There are plenty of bells and whistles that can be added for a small fee to make money.  I think your company is positioned well to be able to steal many customers from Bold.

1 Like
3 0 0

A few colleagues of mine and I are starting to look into building out some apps to solve very specific needs and this is exactly the area we are interested in.  Would you mind sharing with me what kind of data you are looking to get from Shopify?  Is it just orders imported into Xero?  Or is it something more like inventory feeds and invoice? 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

Awesome!  I think most people need very basic functionality.  For example:

1.  Transfer orders from Shopify  to Xero at the end of every day.

2.  Automatically deduct appropriate SKUs from Xero inventory.

3.  Automatically create Xero invoice that corresponds to each order so that when the money hits your bank account, you can reconcile the order in your bank account with the invoice that was automatically created.

All of the other apps try to get fancy with all of the bells and whistles, and most people do not need that I would think.

0 Likes
3 0 0
Excellent, that is the area we were looking to target as well. Thank you
so much for the information!
0 Likes