refund on returning customers

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

We are looking for an app that could refund customers if they have ordered a sample then can back and ordered over a certain amount (£$)

For example: customer orders a sample of whey protein for 99p then places an order for over £25.00 the 99p will automatically refund the cost of the sample.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
515 62 124

Hey, @Razor1 

That's a great question. I'm not completely sure of a marketing app that could accomplish this automatically. However, I do have an alternative workaround that is free to implement! The only caveat is the customer will have a discount code emailed to them for their next whey protein order instead of it being automatically applied. Essentially the process to accomplish this is broken down into 4 distinct parts:

1. We need to apply a 'tag' to a customer's profile when they order a sample product.

2. We need to create a customer group with set conditions so that customers who order sample products fall into this group.

3. Creating a discount code that can only be used by the 'Sample' customer group. 

(Optional: you can also set discount code conditions so that the discount code can only be used once per customer total, or limit it so the discount code only applies to a specific collection, such as your whey protein powders. That way the customer cannot use the discount from the protein sample on ordering a shirt instead)

4. Using an email marketing app to automatically email the customer after their sample purchase to receive the discount code and encourage them to come back and order a full-size.

Tagging customers with a 'Sample' tag when they order a sample product

We can automate this process by using this completely Free app. It allows you to apply tags to customers based on a variety of conditions. Such as the products that they order. You can create a 'sample' tag condition in the app to be applied to all customers who order any of your sample products. 

Creating the 'Sample' Customer group

I've created a screen recording here to show you how to create a 'Sample' customer group in your Shopify admin. That way you can use this group when creating the discount code.

Creating the Discount exclusively for the 'Sample' customer group

Now we will want to actually create the discount code in your admin. I have a screen recording here to show you how to accomplish this. As mentioned above, you can set the discount code conditions so that the discount is only used once per customer, or limit it so the discount code only applies to a specific collection, such as your whey protein powders. That way the customer cannot use the discount from the protein sample on ordering a shirt instead.

Using Shopify Email to send the Discount code for use at checkout

Lastly, we will want to use an email marketing app in order to send an email to the customer after their order to get the discount code to be used at a later time. There are a variety of options, however, I would recommend using the free Shopify Email App to accomplish this. Within this app you will design the actual email and it's contents. You will want to include the discount code in the body of the email. In addition, you will set the 'To:' field to be sent out only to the 'Sample' customer group. That way they receive the discount code upon ordering. 

After that, you should be all set! You can try running a test order yourself to how it will look on your customer's end of things. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes