404 pages for out of stock "one off" items

Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 5

Was looking at my Analytics page today and looking at the top landing page section noticed a lot of items that I know are out of stock

I sell 2nd hand that once out of stock won't be available again in exactly the same condition and would need a new page made if I did get hold of the same item again.

For example a product named "space avenger" we had once, if searched for on our store says sorry your search did not yield any results, that's fine

The problem is I put a lot of our items on Facebook, Pinterest etc from the item page just after I've listed it so using the same "space avenger" item as above if I click on it in Pinterest it's giving a 404 error, page not found.

I don't know how this affects SEO but I'd certainly like the 404 page to say "sorry the item is out of stock" or similar.

How can I do this, I must have lots and lots of items like this that if I were a customer I'd just shut down the page and not come back again

I'm on the new standard theme

Thx

Thanks Brian www.vintageretroandvinyl.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 5

Anyone ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 5

Ok so it seems the 404 errors from social media links on sold out products are because I deleted their availability on all shopping channels so they are showing as 404 rather than sold out.

I did this as advised by support because my Facebook shop was being populated with sold out items which I didn't want.

So stuck with the 404 pages when people click from social media pages 

What I would like is to have the 404 error page show more information, i.e. state in bold letters “sorry that item has sold out, please click here to return to our home page”, or even better have it could link to the same category, i.e "Where Is Moldova" is a board game that has sold out so the 404 page could give a message “sorry that item is sold out, would you like to look at other board games or return to the home page then have a link to board games and the home screen for the customer to choose from.

That way at least they are getting an explanation rather than just the 404 error.

Been advised to hire an expert but things are really slow at the moment so can't afford to so wondering if someone could point me to a tutorial of how I can code it myself.

I'm using the new standard theme

Tnaks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 5

Just bumping up as it had dropped down to page 5.

Has no one else had this issue ?

0 Likes