Why doesn't Shopify require customer account verification?

ZoeSam
Tourist
8 0 4

Hi,

Why does not Shopify require account verification for the customers? My customers just receive an account confirmation email and they can login to my store right away which means anyone can use any email to create an account. This is ridiculous...

Any idea how we can tackle this?

Thanks.

Replies 14 (14)

PremierStores
Shopify Partner
285 28 52

Hi, @ZoeSam:

You need to setup accounts as optional, please follow this tutorial to do it:
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/customers/customer-accounts#set-your-customer-account-preferences

Let's make the best store!
Contact us at: thepremierstores@gmail.com
ZoeSam
Tourist
8 0 4

Hi,

Accounts are set as optional. And I think you misunderstood me; I want to require my customers to verify their emails otherwise anyone can signup/sign in with any email address.

Thanks.

PremierStores
Shopify Partner
285 28 52

Then you need a custom App to do that.

Let's make the best store!
Contact us at: thepremierstores@gmail.com
circular78
Tourist
11 0 2

@PremierStores wrote:

Then you need a custom App to do that.

@PremierStoresany App to recommend?

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

Hello everyone, 

We have just released an account verification feature in the Customer Fields app!

Image 2020-12-08 at 11.42.38 AM.jpg

If you're not familiar with Customer Fields, the app offers a suite of tools to customize your Shopify registration form(s). You can add additional fields, set up automatic customer tags, and now... require email verification before a customer is able to access their account. 🙂

Michael, COO @ Helium
- Customer Fields ✪✪✪✪✪ (346 reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪✪✪✪✪ (265 reviews)
bledinjo
7 0 0

Is this an app? What is the cost? Can you provide the link?

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

Hi @bledinjo - here's the link to Customer Fields on the Shopify App Store.

Email verification is included on the Lite plan ($12/mo).

Michael, COO @ Helium
bledinjo
7 0 0

Th email verification is part of the Shopify existing form. I need to know about the Whole Sale Tag? The tax ID field shows when the Whole Sale customer checkout? Can i condition to 18 years old?

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

I might've missed something... this thread was about email verification, and I didn't see any comments about wholesale tagging or tax ID-- but yes, Customer Fields does provide a solution here.

Using the app, you can collect a customer's Tax ID (custom field) and tax-exempt status (standard Shopify field). You can also automatically tag customers who meet your criteria. Our 'account approval' feature is very popular for wholesale stores. You can also collect DOB info and require the customer to be 18 years or older. You could also add a "file upload" field to collect photo ID or proof of tax-exempt status, if needed.

All of these features are available on the app's Pro plan ($26/mo). We offer a 14-day free trial, and our customer success team can answer any other questions you may have. 😄 

Michael, COO @ Helium

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

One further point re: email verification:

Shopify does require email verification in some instances, but not always.

Shopify does not require a customer to verify their email during account registration if no customer record exists with the provided email. If a customer record DOES exist with the provided email, then the customer must verify their email to prove ownership/access to that email address.

Basically, Shopify only enforces email verification when required to do so to protect access to someone's sensitive data.

Many store owners use our app to enforce email verification for new users who don't already have a customer record on your store. This prevents people from creating an account with an incorrect email address, which is usually a simple typo. Our 'email verification' field can also prevent customers from accidentally using a typo in their email address.

Michael, COO @ Helium
bledinjo
7 0 0

So in the LITE plan i can build a form similar the one below and i can have the email verification and customer account approval by me in the admin?Capture.png

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

@bledinjo - Everything in your screenshot is possible with the Customer Fields app, but not all of it is possible on the Lite plan.

Any field you see on your Customers page in your Shopify Admin area is included in the Lite plan. We call these "Shopify fields" Standard Shopify fields (name, phone, email, tax-exempt, etc) or Address fields (city, state/province, country, zip code, etc).

For the most part, anything not included natively on your Shopify Customers page is a "custom field" and requires the Pro plan. From your screenshot, the only custom field I see is the "ID/PASSPORT" field which could be configured as a date field, with a validation rule set to enforce a date at least 18 years ago.

Michael, COO @ Helium

MandasaTech
Shopify Expert
723 146 153

You may consider this app : Emailchekr - Customer account verification on shopify .

As a fellow Shopify merchant, we know how crucial email marketing is for your business.
That's why we're thrilled to introduce you to “EmailCheckr”, the ultimate Shopify app for email validation.

“EmailCheckr” helps merchants to ensure that the customer’s email address is valid and that they are who they say they are.
With email verification, businesses can increase their security and protect their customers’ data from malicious activities.
Email verification also helps businesses maintain accurate records of customer information, which can be used for marketing purposes or to improve customer service.

Features :
- Account activation emails are sent to customers to verify their emails.
- Verify customer emails to protect your business.
- It keeps your email lists fresh by eliminating fake customer account signups.

☞ Helpful or Question answered? Please Click Like & Mark it Accepted Solution
☞ Want to modify or custom changes on store for affordable price? Click on Contact button here
☞ Email at info@mandasa.in
☞ Whatsapp at +918989609120 | Hire us at: Website Support Page