Add Purchase Order Number Text Field During Checkout

FNMNL_Media
Shopify Partner
8 0 8

We need to add a text field or box, where when the customer chooses the "Purchase Order" payment method, they can enter their Purchase Order number on the spot and it shows somewhere in shopify.

We know the custom payment method can be added, but we can only leave a note for the client, they can't leave any notes for us when choosing that payment method.

No, we don't want to use the Order Notes from the Cart page, it doesn't flow properly and many people will miss it.

Please help, Thank you in advance !

Replies 20 (20)

CNJane
Visitor
2 0 2

Did you ever get an answer or find a solution for this problem?  We have a few wholesale customers who require that their PO numbers be referenced on all correspondence concerning their orders - invoices, packing slips, and all email correspondence.  So far we're doing all this outside of Shopify because we can't find a way to record the PO number with their orders within Shopify.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Corgin
Visitor
1 0 2

Yes, we really need this too.  And no, the 'Notes' field on the checkout page won't work for us either.  Please can somebody help?

fordwholesale
Visitor
2 0 2

We also need this

MS-WEB-DESIGNER
Shopify Partner
3012 181 484

If you're not a Shopify Plus merchant you should look into adding this note field on the cart page instead of checkout:
https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/cart/get-more-information-with-order-notes

fordwholesale
Visitor
2 0 2

This doesnt help us because we need it to be an integral part of the order. We need customers to be able to replace the Shopify Order Number with their own reference number

shibs
Visitor
2 0 4

bumping this up.  Has been a need for us for the last year. 

CNJane
Visitor
2 0 2

Should be a simple thing for the developer to do.   I have talked to shopify and to the developer about it.  Must not important to them.  Bummer!

SBWMSU
Tourist
7 0 3

We absolutely need this too. I can't believe there isn't a clean way in Shopify to do it or an app that can help with checkout. Repurposing the Order Notes field is not a viable option.

SBWMSU
Tourist
7 0 3

We found a way to add a PO# field to the cart page using Cart Attributes. You need to be able to code to do it, but we were able to get a text field that appears underneath the Order Instructions field where customers can put in their PO number. I also added a little blurb when they select the "PO Number" manual payment method that says "Customers paying with a purchase order must enter their PO number in the Cart page". I wish we could add the field at checkout like our old site, but I don't think you can mess with the payments page too much. When the order comes through, it appears in the upper right corner of the order page. We're going live with our Shopify site next week, so we'll see how this goes.

Cart - Use cart attributes to collect more information - Shopify Community

Jordan
Shopify Staff
300 3 82

Hi folks,

My name's Jordan and I'm a product manager at Shopify. I'd like to better understand this problem so we can find the right solution for you all. If you're interested in chatting about this, please send me an email at jordan.liddle@shopify.com and we can set up a quick call to discuss this topic more. Thanks!

Jordan | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Scott_Rusbyy
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Jordan,

literally just need a text field called "PO number" (or similar) just above the shipping address on the order info screen that lets a customer enter their own PO number. This will likely be less than 50 characters and should accept spaces and special char (like hyphens). This text field will then be saved against the order so that when the customer receives the order they can reconcile it against their internal systems.

i hope that makes sense

Scott_Rusbyy
Visitor
3 0 0

@Jordan alternatively on the payments section a PO filed there would work too

Scott_Rusbyy_0-1658788117122.png

jryken
Visitor
1 0 2

Jordan,

Any update on this request.  We would benefit too!

fryoneusa
Visitor
1 0 7

Wow has this really been an unanswered request for almost THREE years now? IT'S A SIMPLE TEXT FIELD. That's all we're asking for.  At the checkout, so it's included on the order info.  That's it.  This is so common on other sites it's insane. And almost every industry uses Purchase Order (PO) numbers.  Shopify, step it up here. 

sboothe22
Visitor
1 0 0

Come on Shopify. give us a PO field!

fiddy
Visitor
1 0 0

Shopify Plus has it.  Doubt they will add it to regular Shopify if they haven't already at this point.  The best thing to do is collect it on the cart page.  You don't need an app to do this.  Check out https://ui-elements-generator.myshopify.com/pages/cart-attribute

xSeanx
Shopify Partner
11 0 1

I know this is a bit older, but I need this as well. I have Plus but do not see this option. Can you point me in the right direction as to where this is?

GummyBear
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi Jordan - how is your team going with this request?  It's very frustrating to not have this for our Clients who really need it!

birdiedequay
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey everyone, unless its already been answers I found that using MAGICAL CUSTOM FORM FEILDS does the trick √

Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 5.56.53 PM.png

jaacse
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

How do you deal with this with Shopify? How can I store the PO number in the order? does any customer have to set a po number?