Add a Currency Note on the Checkout Page

Solved
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi there, I am looking for a way to display a message that our store must process all orders in EUR but the checkout value (EUR) corresponds to their currency's value shown before on the cart website (E.g. USD).

I already have that note on the cart page but it does not really stand out and to my mind, belongs more on the checkout page.

X marks the spot where I would like to display it. I know there used to be a method to insert JavaScript under Shopify's Google Analytics settings, with which that would have been easily possible, but unfortunately, that feature was deactivated recently.

My solution for now is that I edited the logo on the top left and inserted the note on the logo image itself.

Hopefully someone is smarter than me and knows a method to display the text where I would like to have it.

Any contributions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Tom

Image: Note should be where the red X is
Untitled.jpg

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 28

Hey, there!

Sunny here from the Shopify Guru team and I would be happy to help.

As you mentioned in your comment, you are correct about our recent changes that no longer allows merchants to add JavaScript that has been created to alter the checkout process. Shopify Guru's can enable this area for you but if you add Javascript to edit the checkout, it won't work. However, you can still add script for Google Analytics purposes. This change is strictly a security measure as customizations to the checkout may result in vulnerabilities. I can understand the reasoning behind editing your checkout to make it more personalized and although there are no apps I can suggest, there may be a slight workaround that you may be interested in.

Using your theme's Language Editor (which is mainly for translating your theme or making small wording tweaks) you are able to adjust the default text or add additional text to almost any area on your shop, including your checkout. However, it's worth noting that the Language Editor has limited editing capabilities and requires trial and error, but you can definitely make it work!

Here is an example of my test store's checkout where I added special text to several places around my checkout's Payment Method page. I personally think it looks best beside the "Total" order amount because it's hard to miss, your note is relevant to pricing and payments, and it's closest to the big red X you had on your drawing. The only downfall that I found for putting the text beside "Total", is that the special text will only appear on the Payment Method page (the last page of the checkout) and not on the Shipping Method or Customer Information page for some reason.

07-26-cfavm-cs84r

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with code, I would suggest checking out our advanced tutorial that shows you how to add an 'Agree to terms and conditions' checkbox on your cart page. This code makes it impossible for your customers to reach the checkout without first acknowledging and clicking on the checkbox. You can adjust what they are agreeing to and this ensures your customers are informed of how orders are processed.

Based on our limited options to edit the checkout area, I hope either of these ideas are a good enough workaround for your situation. I would love to hear your thoughts on which you prefer, if either, and definitely let me know if you have any questions at all.

Cheers,

Sunny | Shopify Guru

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Wow, Sunny!

That was a very helpful reply!

I found out, that, in order to display the text next to the total on the Shipping Method and Customer Information page, you just need to find "Partial total label" and insert the text that you used for the "Total label".

Mind if I ask you.. Which parts in the language editor did you edit in order to display the text right underneath the logo/progress tree in the left half?

I can't seem to find that one.

Regards, Tom

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 28

Hi, Tom!

I am so glad to hear that you like this workaround and thank you so much for sharing that finding with me! As I mentioned earlier, using the Language Editor will definitely require trial and error to find the best spots for text and I'm pumped that you were able to figure out that mystery.

To answer your question, in order to get the text to display on the top left area that was shown on my screenshot, you will be looking for a field called "Title" under Checkout Payment, as shown below:

08-42-h3686-3519h

Give that a try and let me know how that goes. I would be happy to keep troubleshooting if you're looking to make it work in another area on the checkout or shop. 

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Sunny | Shopify Guru

3 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Awesome, Sunny!

Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like
1 0 0

Hi Sunny !!!

How can I add a note in Payment method page below Total (Right side page).

I want to add :-

CUSTOMS DUTIES AND TAXES
The total amount of your purchase does not include customs duties and taxes.
Customers will be responsible for paying any customs duties, taxes and additional fees, which vary among shipping countries and products.
Please contact the customs authority in your country for more details. The Courier will invoice you for the customs duties when the package arrives.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 28

Hey, @ojasvi!

Thanks so much for your patience while I looked into this for you. Just to make sure I understand exactly which area you're referring to, can you confirm if this is correct?:

07-33-6f41q-8bd75

If this is the correct area, you can access it by heading over to Online Store > Actions > Edit Language > Checkout & System > Search for the "Checkout Order Summary" section and enter the text where it says "Total label", as shown below.

07-37-hzm2i-0u21o 

Was this the area you are trying to edit? Let me know if I got it right, otherwise I would be happy to continue troubleshooting!

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 0
Hi sunny,
Does your shopify management has any idea what the store owners are going through in building a store, maintaining inventory, maintain offline store, maintain the same passion about online store in middle of ups and downs. Iam really interested in shopify since 2016. Its been four years i have seen what changes or updates has been made in platform. I mean how can you disable the additional scripts which were being used to modify checkout page, if you find vulnarability of checkout page you should make it more secure. Ok you did by diabling modifies of checkout page, Now answer this question-since 2016 iam asking for one feature request from Shopify to disble cash on delivery for certain selected products and only online payment option for certain products we select, these feature not available since beginning and also i spent 1000's of dollars developing this app and you guys disable it the next day. Already shopify is with tons of builtin limitations and we are adding apps to improve our store, now instead of improving the functions what merchants not having, you keep on adding the limitations and lose your merchants. These functions other platform is already having builtin. I meam why cant you guys build this function and makes things smoother.
0 Likes