Add a percentage fee for credit card payments only Debut theme

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 4

My client would like to add a fee to their products at checkout when the customer pays with a credit card. They are doing this on their current site on another platform. Is this possible? How would this customization be made? 

The store is under development at:

idioma-education-consulting.myshopify.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 59 75

Hello, @Cathy_Berse-Hur.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

I understand your client would like to add a fee on orders processed through a credit card. Since this function is not available natively, most of our merchants will set up their product prices with the processing fees and use draft orders to send out invoices for special situations. Nonetheless, you can accomplish this by using a third-party app. 

I recommend taking a look at Order & Product Fees, this app can show different prices to your customers based on the payment method they select. The app will also allow you to be transparent and you can hide or show the fees. If you need any assistance with the app, you can always reach out to the developer directly through the contact information found in the Support section of the app’s page. 

I hope this provides a few solutions for you to explore. If you have any other questions on the topic, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 4

Hello Elias,

My client did install the app Order & Product Fees thinking that it would be a good fit for what she wanted to do. She emailed their support to try and figure out how to add the fee. Here is her email to them and then their response:

Q: "I am setting up my shopify store and downloaded your app to add on fees.  I would like to find out how to only charge a fee for those who pay by credit card.  This way people who pay by check or purchase order will not incur any fees.  Can you walk me through this?"

A: "Thank you for reaching out to us.
Unfortunately, Shopify doesn’t allow adding extra charges for specific payment methods, because the payment method is chosen during the checkout only.
Our app can add a processing fee that will be applied to the orders matching the available product and cart conditions. So the payment method chosen during the current user’s checkout flow is not something that Shopify API allows to retrieve by 3rd party apps."

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 59 75

Hey, @Cathy_Berse-Hur.

Thank you for following up and sharing this feedback about this app. We can also appreciate your client for reaching out to the app developers. My apologies if I’ve shared any inaccurate information, as I was also looking at their app descriptions and photo gallery. Looking at their photo gallery, it seems they might have a workaround?

15-58-b5fh5-fqeg7

I’m afraid this is the only app I can find for adding fees. I recommend working with the app developers again and seeing if there are any workarounds. I can see that there are other requests for this function, I’d be happy to put forth a feature request with our developers so this can be taken into consideration. Before doing that, I’d like to have a better understanding of your client’s needs. What other payment methods does your client accept on her other store?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello there,

I have the same issue but with PayPal payments. Any update on this subject?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 4

No, we found it wasn't possible so my client has just adjusted her prices accordingly. Good luck.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

I see, thank you Cathy. Have a great weekend!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
51 1 14

Have this issue also for COD payments. Will there be in future some possibility. I mean it is strange that you cannot supply a value or percentage cost for a payment method like for the shipping chosen?! 

0 Likes