Add message to cart screen when empty

Solved
Tourist
8 0 0

Hello,

I am using the Turbo theme. We're having an issue that is being looked at by Shopify & the Theme developer & Facebook, where a customer designs an item, adds to cart, later returns to the store and their cart has emptied.

While we are fixing, I would like to add a message to the cart page only when the cart is empty. In between "There are no items in your cart" and "Continue Shopping", I would like to insert a message which includes a link to contact us (either our contact page or email us). Also very important it displays properly on mobile (we're about 90% mobile users).

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.31.47 AM.png

I assume this is the code I need to change. Where exactly do I put the message? And do I include the message in "cart.general.continue_browsing_html" or on its own?

{% if cart.item_count == 0 %}
<div class="sixteen columns">
<div class="section clearfix">
<div class="six columns offset-by-five medium-down--one-whole">
<p class="quote">{{ 'cart.general.continue_browsing_html' | t }}</p>

<a href="{% if cart.items.first.product.collections != blank %}{{ cart.items.first.product.collections.last.url }}{% else %}/{% endif %}" class="action_button continue-button add_to_cart">{{ 'cart.general.continue_shopping_link_html' | t }}</a>
</div>
<br class="clear" />
</div>
</div>
{% else %}

Thank you!

0 Likes

Success.

Astronaut
1081 146 272

That's probably the right spot, just add a div underneath it with a link to your contact page and whatever text you want:

{% if cart.item_count == 0 %}
<div class="sixteen columns">
<div class="section clearfix">
<div class="six columns offset-by-five medium-down--one-whole">
<p class="quote">{{ 'cart.general.continue_browsing_html' | t }}</p>
<div>Please <a href="/pages/contact">contact</div> us if you are having issues placing your custom order. </div>
<a href="{% if cart.items.first.product.collections != blank %}{{ cart.items.first.product.collections.last.url }}{% else %}/{% endif %}" class="action_button continue-button add_to_cart">{{ 'cart.general.continue_shopping_link_html' | t }}</a>
</div>
<br class="clear" />
</div>
</div>
{% else %}

Where the "href" would be a link to whatever your contact page is.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
8 0 0

Perfect, thank you Ninthony! 

Now I just need to figure out the actual bug that is forcing me to include a message in the first place! :)

0 Likes