Add recommended products to cart page

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking to add recommended products to show up in a row on the bottom of my cart page. I don't really mind if they are "related-products" or products from a collection I made... I just need something to try and upsell on that page!

So I am using the Brooklyn theme.
I tried following: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Solved-Display-a-Collection-on-Cart-Page/m-p/98616#co...
but to no avail. 

Really appreciate some guidance

And please don't suggest to me a paid APP, as seems to be the solution for just about everything on this forum.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 35

Hey, @phil22!

My name is Sunny, a Shopify Guru and I would be happy to help!

Firstly, I just want to say that I always love and appreciate seeing recommended products added to common pages on online stores. Taking that to the next level and adding it to the cart page is super unique and reminds me of when you're in line to checkout at the grocery store and you can't help yourself but add a pack of gum and a chocolate bar to the conveyer belt. It's that awesome last push to increase your sales and when done right by strategically recommending products, the likeliness of someone adding an additional item or two to cart is increased. That can go a long way for a business of any size.

We happen to have a "Recommend related products to customers" advanced tutorial on our help center but it's not supported by Shopify meaning our theme team cannot code this for you. However, I took this a step further and reached out to our theme team asking if this tutorial would even function on the cart page and they advised that it may, but you will most likely need additional code to work properly. You can, however, hire a Shopify Expert if you are not comfortable with testing this out yourself. This will be an additional cost but unlike downloading one of the many apps that can achieve this, you won't need to pay a recurring monthly app fee.

While continuing my research I found this blog post here that explains how to code in a recommended product section in your shop and someone commented about adding this functionality to other areas in the store. This was the response from Liam Griffin, a Partner Education and Front End Developer Advocate at Shopify:

"You could create a static section displaying specific products, which would be included on the cart.liquid file.

There is a tutorial here showing how to create a custom section on a cart page here which will help, and you could adjust the section to pull a specific product."

If you need some clarification on this, it may be worth while to comment on that original blog post asking for some guidance or, reach out to @Liam directly.

If anyone has a solution for this request, we would love to hear from you and get a little thread going. I look forward to seeing what we can come up with!

Cheers,

Sunny | Shopify Guru

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
5 0 0

HI Sunny,

Thanks for your response. I will definitely look into what you mentioned!

I did find a free APP! I know... an actual free APP that does it, although the recommendations seem to be limited to best selling items.

For anyone else searching it's called "Upsell Recommendations by AutoCommerce".

I will investigate further if there is way for me to manual code a section to the cart page as mentioned, or if I can tweak this app code to show specific collections or smarter recommendations.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 35

You're very welcome and thanks for sharing that app recommendation for others to check out as well. Definitely keep us all updated on the situation as I'm sure there are many others like you who would benefit from a solution.

Best of luck with the search and feel free to reach back out if you need a hand with anything else!

Cheers,

Sunny | Shopify Guru

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 0 2

I suggest a cross-sell app. However, its cross-sell feature doesn't show related products in the cart page but product page. The upsell feature shows popup after a customer clicks Add-to-cart button. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Sunny, I'm interested in this feature as well. I looked at the free app from Autocommerce (Hungarian company). My question is: should we be concerned about a 3rd party app that collects our customers' data? 

0 Likes