Added categories to Brooklyn theme, and now header is missing

Solved
MichelleYanez
2 0 1

HI- I added categories to my Brooklyn theme, and now the header is missing which shows all the categories that I just created.  Instead, it removed the header and created a menu button that appears to the left of my page.  It is not very easy to find products now.

Thanks for any help that folks can provide.

Michelle

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
172 54 29

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Michelle!

June here from Shopify.

It sounds like you're in the process of adding some collections to your navigation, is that correct?

On our Brooklyn theme, we can typically expect more than four or five menu items to re-format as a sidebar menu - found by clicking the "hamburger menu" icon (or three lines) on the left-hand side of your homepage.

You'll notice that whether or not your menu defaults to this format can also depend on the length of your menu item titles, and may differ from screen to screen. For example, on a smaller desktop window or mobile device, you'll see that your menu moves to a sidebar, while on a wider window it does not.

While we have found that it's very intuitive for customers to click the "hamburger menu" icon to reveal their navigation options, I can definitely appreciate preferring the look and accessibility of a menu that expands across the top of your homepage whenever possible.

With that in mind, there are a couple things you can do to maximize the space allowed in your menu and keep it from re-formatting:

• Drop down menus allow you to group your collections and pages into broader categories (which your customers can click at the top of your homepage), rather than listing each of them individually. This is a great use of your menu's precious real estate!
  • Consider how you can shorten your menu item titles - sometimes fewer words can get the same point across to your customers.

Let me know how that goes! Of course, if this isn't quite what you're seeing on your end, you're welcome to share a link to your online store and point me to exactly where you're seeing these missing headers. I'd love to take a closer look! From here I'll have a better idea of how to help you achieve the layout you're aiming for.

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

MichelleYanez
2 0 1

Thank you so much June, you are brilliant!!

Michelle