Adding Custom Fields to the Shopify Dashboard

9 0 0

Hi all,

I have been trying to use the custom fields chrome extension. I have added a metafield to one of my products, this seems to have worked as I can see it when I call the API for that product. However I cant see any sign of it on my shopify admin, i think it is supposed to show in the admin/settings/general page, but isnt there and when i use the custom fields extension it either loads a custom fields box which says 'you have no custom fields' or an error message comes up with 'custom fields error: setup_custom_fields(): target html not found'.

i have tried with both a c_f namespace and custom_fields namespace.

No doubt I have made a boneheaded beginner error somewhere, but i cannot figure out what.

thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9765 86 1514

Nice one Jordy! Keep in mind that it won't work for everyone and it could break shortly. At the very least if that's got you up and running others may get some luck with it in the meantime.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

Yeah, I know. 
Between the AB testing I suspect Shopify's doing, and the progressive release of backend updates, it can break anytime. 
That said, we have 5 shopify sites that seems to not get updates simultaneously,  and for now, it works on all of them, so, as short as it might work, it seems to do the job for now. 
Until we get our own tool up and running, which may take quite a while, or until you come up with a new version, we'll update this one. 

To all: if it breaks on your end, please notify me. It means that it may break on our end, so we'll be ready to fix it as soon as it breaks here, and of course, within the our possibilities.

PS: Jason, thank you very much. This tool has been a game changer for us. Not that we were not able to build one, but it inspired us to do awesome customizations that we integrated in our full custom theme, giving us a different perspective of how Shopify could be used. It lead us to create many overlaying scripts for order managment, product managment, etc. that incredibly enhance our workflow. 

★Shopify tweaker★
1 Like
9 0 0

Hi all,

I have been trying to use the custom fields chrome extension. I have added a metafield to one of my products, this seems to have worked as I can see it when I call the API for that product. However I cant see any sign of it on my shopify admin, i think it is supposed to show in the admin/settings/general page, but isnt there and when i use the custom fields extension it either loads a custom fields box which says 'you have no custom fields' or an error message comes up with 'custom fields error: setup_custom_fields(): target html not found'.

i have tried with both a c_f namespace and custom_fields namespace.

No doubt I have made a boneheaded beginner error somewhere, but i cannot figure out what.

thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
19 0 1

Thomas, if you are not using it already you may need to add the administrator extension ShopifyFD to see the custom fields settings in Settings-->General.

0 Likes
9 0 0

Thanks, that the missing piece, it is now appearing in the admin/settings/general area. Also the custom field now appears under each product.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi everyone, please help me out with something if possible. I want to make metafield with 3 information in it, Location, Bin, Tray - so the input of the information will be for example - Location = 3, Bin = A, Tray = 5
This information must be visible only for staff and not for clinets. This is something I want to tie with products, once an order has been placed I want to be able to see where exactly my product is for easier and faster picking. I have done a long search all day long with no luck. Any help will be appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

That was super helpful to me today, thank you Jordy!

0 Likes

i am a simple person. i am create my new store starmusiq but i can not add custom field. same my problem. help me please

0 Likes
4 0 0

Has there been any update or workaround to the Custom Fields tool? Our product pages have used this tool for years, but the Custom Fields tool seems to have officially broken in the past few weeks. I'm at a loss for what to do, and I can't seem to find any documentation to help!!! 

0 Likes