Adding Custom Fields to the Shopify Dashboard

Shopify Expert
9973 84 1491

I need to add a couple more tweaks to the tools next week (for a client project). If you've got a feature request - let's hear it.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5826 0 274

I would love a product picker! For 'related/recommended products' ! :)

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
3 Likes
Excursionist
64 0 6

This must be really obvious, sorry in advance for asking but how on earth do you get to this page in the manual? My "/admin/settings/general" url doens't have any of those fields. 

1 Like
Excursionist
64 0 6

What am I missing? Metafiled is created, namespace is "c_f", everything is saved an loaded however custom fields don't show up? 

1 Like
Shopify Expert
9973 84 1491

This must be really obvious, sorry in advance for asking but how on earth do you get to this page in the manual? My "/admin/settings/general" url doens't have any of those fields. 

I've not spent much time on the docs so I'm probably to blame for some of the confusion. You'd only see those fields if you had been using the ShopifyFD tool. If not, you'll need to add the metafields in another way. 

I'll try and make that much clearer when I update the doc next.

What am I missing? Metafiled is created, namespace is "c_f", everything is saved an loaded however custom fields don't show up? 

You're missing the master metafields that need to be set on the shop object. Since that step got skipped, the fields won't show. 

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Excursionist
64 0 6

Thanks Jason, every thing works fine now! Thanks for sharing the tool too, it's really useful! 

Just out of curiosity, when I add metafields here using Shopifyd, are they just for that particular product? 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

This looks really promising Jason, thanks for developing it! I can't seem to get "Custom Fields" to display any metafields though. All I get is the "no custom fields found" message.

Using another metafield editor (Metafields2), I added these metafields:

1. A shop-level "whitelist" key to whitelist an existing custom namespace for existing product metafields (namespace: "custom_fields_config", key: "whitelist", type: string).

2. A product-level "c_f" namespace metafield (namespace: "c_f", key: "tai_test", type: string).

3. A product-level "custom_fields" namespace metafield (namespace: "custom_fields", key: "tai_test_4", type: string).

I've tried Chrome and FireFox on the Mac.

Note that when I load ShopifyFD on a product page, I see the metafields in the custom namespace that I whitelisted IFF they have been assigned values for that particular product. But I also see other custom namespace metafields, so it seems to display them all there.

Also, are the "type markers" supposed to affect what the "Custom Fields" tool displays? I don't see them having any effect for me right now. Last question: will "Custom Fields" only display metafields that have values assigned (which seems to be the case with ShopifyFD), or should I be able to configure a product field once and then using "Custom Fields" to add values for each product?

Thanks! - Tai

1 Like
1 0 1

hi

i  love you awesome plugin... when i add to the product it is working fine and i can display in the front end.. now i am trying to do the same for the article part .. i can see the custom fields while adding the articles but i cannot display it in front end... i am using {{article.metafields.c_f.image[a].value}} to display since namespace is c_f , key is image[a]... i have use the [a] light marker...can you please guide me what is my mistake

thanks 

1 Like
Shopify Expert
9973 84 1491

@Tai - you started out fine but your second and third steps are wrong. 

Whitelist is shop level, Custom fields to show are also shop level. It says that in doc:

Also, are the "type markers" supposed to affect what the "Custom Fields" tool displays?

The markers can do two things. Either set the type of field (so text area, collection, etc) and the other to limit when they appear. So [p] will make them appear on products only.

Last question: will "Custom Fields" only display metafields that have values assigned

If a metafield has no value, it does not exist. It can't show what's not there.

should I be able to configure a product field once and then using "Custom Fields" to add values for each product?

Yes, but only if you setup the field as a shop level metafield first.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

Great, thanks Jason, it all makes sense now and I've got it working.

One thing I've noticed is that if I browse around between different products the custom fields stay visible, but if I use "Save" or "Save with Custom Fields" then they disappear and I have to re-load. This is true in Chrome and FireFox on Mac. Is this expected? Any solution in sight?

Thanks again!

1 Like