Adding Custom Fields to the Shopify Dashboard

Shopify Expert
9764 86 1512

Is this expected?

Sort of. Since Shopify determines what pages are ajax loaded the script is at the mercy of that.

Any solution in sight?

No - not unless I can find a way to fire the newer ajax loading code that's come with the dashboard update. So far no luck.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Shopify Partner
14 0 0

Hi Jason,

Firstly, thanks for this app. It's a life saver!!!

Secondly, I was reading the thread and someone was asking about the RTE. I was wondering if you added to you app or if we still need to implement that TinyMCE, can you give me some directions on where should I add the

tinymce.init({selector:'textarea'});

Thanks!

0 Likes
Tourist
87 0 3

Hi Jason,

I'm a store owner, not a developer. But this tool is *potentially* exactly what I've been looking for. I want to centralize all my product info in one place so that I can easily export to a CSV, take the required data, and upload to different marketplaces.

For example - Amazon has a whole bunch of required fields to list on their marketplace. I might want a different photo than on my shopify website. So I could add a custom field for "Amazon Photo" "Amazon Description" "Ebay Photo" etc.

I've gotten everything to work, the only issue I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to bulk export/import the metafields. Ideally, I'd like to just export my products via Shopify dashboard and have the metafield data included in one of the CSV columns.

This is something I've been looking for over the last week and everything I've found is way too overcomplicated. This would actually be perfect but the bulk export/import would definitely be required so that I could copy/paste data from one spreadsheet to another.

If this is doable then ENERGY DRINK tips coming!!!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9764 86 1512

@Fernando Baba: Secondly, I was reading the thread and someone was asking about the RTE. I was wondering if you added to you app or if we still need to implement that TinyMCE, can you give me some directions on where should I add the

It's not as simple as just adding the tinymce,init. Since it's a bundled scripts not all the resources are available and existing hooks fire when you don't want them too. In short, conflicts everywhere. I suspect that I'll end up just side-loading my own version of tinymce whenever it's needed. Would rather not but seems to the be path of least resistance.

Ideally, I'd like to just export my products via Shopify dashboard and have the metafield data included in one of the CSV columns.

Bulk export is fine but bulk import is a nightmare factory I'd prefer to avoid. If this was a paid app it might be a different story but there's no time (or desire) to deal with the vast issues bulk uploading can bring. Granted I do have my own hacktastic internal scripts that do full json (not CSV) import and export but that's not something for public consumption.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Tourist
87 0 3

Bulk export is fine but bulk import is a nightmare factory I'd prefer to avoid. If this was a paid app it might be a different story but there's no time (or desire) to deal with the vast issues bulk uploading can bring. Granted I do have my own hacktastic internal scripts that do full json (not CSV) import and export but that's not something for public consumption.

I would certainly pay for this feature in the future.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Shopify must give us freedom to add custom fields, rather than by using browser extensions :(

E-Commerce Developer at Sparx Technologies
1 Like
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi Jason,

Adding meta fields to variants is awesome! It's not very beneficial to me however if I can't change the metafield data based on the selected variant. Do you know how I would go about this? Any help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9764 86 1512

There's an undocumented and not terribly well tested feature (aka: it might change) that will let you add custom fields for variants. Just add a [v] marker when making the shop level metafield. You should then see something like this:

2 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3
Hi Jason, Thanks for your prompt response! I have already added custom fields to my variants. Now what I am wanting to do is change the custom variant data displayed on the page to correspond with the selected variant. For example I have a custom field called dimensions. I want the dimensions of the variant to change with the variant selected. I can loop through the variant dimensions and output them to the page but that does me no good. My customer has no idea which dimension corresponds with which variant. I need a way to display them dynamically.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9764 86 1512

Sounds like you're getting into custom build territory and not something this tool would handle by default.

1 Like