Adding Customer Text To Product Purchase shopify 2019

Tourist
11 1 1

I am trying to have a required field for the customer to fill out to purchase a product. The required field would be 'Last Name:' Can someone help point me to how I an do this? Thank you!

Tom

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
607 40 85

Hey, there.

Dallas here from the Shopify Social Care Team.

That's not a required piece of information, but unfortunately, there isn't a way to make it required. The checkout code is actually locked so there's no way for you to change it, but in saying that I feel like it's important to share that as a Shopify employee I'm not even able to work with the custom code for the checkout. We keep it locked for the security of your store and your customer's information.

There isn't particularly a way to make sure that your customers share their first name, but you could add a banner at the top of your store that says something like "Don't forget to share your first name in the checkout." I can't say that that would be particularly successful as I've never needed to request that particular piece of information, so I can't speak from experience, but it's worth a try. You can find the header by going into your theme customizer and clicking on Header on the left-hand side. 

In this case, you might want to look into an app that pertains to this in particular. You might be interested in the app for product options. You can add a field in for the variant of the product that your customers can type in then you could make that a required field. This is generally used for customized products. For example, if your customer is buying a jersey with their name on it or something like that, but you could try to use this for what you're wanting too. Again, I can't promise that this will work in general. Your customers might become skeptical and wonder why you need this information, but it could help.

Please take a look at those options and let me know if you need more assistance.

Best

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
11 1 1

I have seen posts on editing the code to add in a box on a product where the customer can add text to an order. Such as for engravings ect.,. I don't think it is necessary to pay a monthly charge to have an app do it for me. I am looking for direction to accomplish this.

0 Likes
Navigator
358 39 40

@Tom18 wrote:

I have seen posts on editing the code to add in a box on a product where the customer can add text to an order. Such as for engravings ect.,. I don't think it is necessary to pay a monthly charge to have an app do it for me. I am looking for direction to accomplish this.

I think only shopify gold members can access checkout code, check it, ask support before you upgrade to gold member

you are welcome to contact / donate small amount to me.
My email - suyash.patankar@gmail.com

paypal.me/suyashpatankar
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
84 14 16

hi @Tom18 

Greetings from SilverClouding .

Its very simple but little time taking ,

We can do it.

Let explain your requirement -  you need a text fields in product page which is a require text fields and its passes value to cart page with customer last name .

If this is your requirement , please contact with us

Skype id : live:arnab_152

Thank you

SilverClouding Team. 

0 Likes
Tourist
11 1 1

I used last name as an example. Basically I am doing multiple engravings and there will be a couple different inputs. For instance,. Text Area 1: _________  Text Area 2:________ ,. then these customer inputs will follow the order and be documented for fulfillment. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
84 14 16

hi,

Yes you can use multiple text area.

you looking for that requirement which we meant before. right? 

Any thing you need please contact with skype.

Thank you.

0 Likes