Adding Gratuity?

Jack_Wang1
18 0 0

Hi everyone!  I'm in the process of building a new website for our bakery and need some help.  The business we have is delivery/pickup only and I was wondering if there is a way to add in the option for gratuity on checkout.

Currently about 80% of our customers tip using a credit card so I'm really crossing my fingers there is a solution in shopify for this.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this!

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2581 136 467

The tricky part is tips are generally viewed as a percentage. Throw that out and it's simply a product called tip with differently priced variants OR is 1 product called tip with a quantity automatically set to represent 10%. There's a few topics about using the latter technique for donations; 1 such post.

First method:

1. Customer adds bagel to cart
  2. Goes to cart
  3. Customer can use Checkbox/Dropdown Called Tips to select a prefixed tip amount.
  4. Theme/Json auto adds the respective product 'tip' to the cart.

Not ideal but fast.

I've been thinking coupons could be used in reverse to achieve something similar to this, but that may involve across the board price adjustments and my not fit your workflow.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2581 136 467

Just realized your on the other post. Good luck

0 Likes
Jack_Wang1
18 0 0

Thanks for responding to my question Paul.  I did consider adding the drop down list with preset amounts the customer could choose from.  That idea could definitely work out if I can't figure out another alternative.

I'm currently attempting a way to allow the customer to type in their own amount to tip (only in full dollar amounts).  Not sure if I may end up scrapping the whole thing but this is what I've done so far in case anyone else reading this post and is trying to do the same thing. (I'm a beginner so I'm don't know if I can do everything I'm saying below)

1) I made a product called "Gratuity" with a value of $1. (DONE)

2) When the product "Gratuity" is added into the cart, using javascript I hid the li item so it doesn't show up in the cart. (DONE)

3) I'm trying to move the quantity amount for the product "Gratuity" to be right above the subtotal so that customers can simply input the amount they would like to tip.  This would then update the quantity. (CURRENTLY WORKING ON)

4) I would then like to hide some numbers on the checkout page so it doesn't show up as the customer put in "Gratuity" 30 x $1 (NOT YET STARTED)

Problems (So Far):

- Trying to figure out how to hide the entire product "Gratuity" but not hide the quantity portion.

- Customer must tip in whole dollars.  No idea how to fix this.

I'll update this page if I am able to do everything here as well as whatever other problems come up along the way.  If I can I'll be sure to let people know so they can add it to their website.  If not, then I may have to end up doing the drop down menu option.

0 Likes
tetchi
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
489 0 43

I'm actually working on a tutorial for this right now... just have to sort out some errors first. You can see what I've got so far here: http://crona-llc4353.myshopify.com/cart (you'll have to add a product first).

I'll keep you posted! 

- Tetchi

www.tetchi.ca | www.twitter.com/t3tchi
0 Likes
Jack_Wang1
18 0 0

That's awesome!  I fear my abilities are too limited and I haven't proceeded any further.  I really hope you succeed where I have failed and I'd love to see what you come up with.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

0 Likes
James_Liu
Tourist
45 0 2

Looking good, Tetchi!

Out of curiosity, if someone tipped say, 5 euros, would the shop owner see a sale of 500 units of the 0.01 Euro "Donation" product in the customer's order information and purchase history?

“Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.” -T.K. Whipple
0 Likes
Jamie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5714 0 154

@james yes with the one cent method that is what they would see in all messaging. You could use only units of even dollar amounts as well and disallow decimals using some js in the cart, may make it slightly cleaner. 

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
tetchi
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
489 0 43

Hey guys, I think I got it working - could you guys try out https://crona-llc4353.myshopify.com/cart and see if you can break it?

The only crappy part is that there is not much you can do in the checkout, as far as I know (perhaps Jamie can offer some insight on this :D). You have to display the amount x the price ($0.01 here: http://take.ms/gmq). I was hoping you could use custom CSS to target just the donation product by target its unique title, but unfortunately the span below it is not unique (http://take.ms/jmq)... DAMMIT!!! 

www.tetchi.ca | www.twitter.com/t3tchi
0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2581 136 467

If the order or elements is predictable it is but browser compatability sneaks in fast. 

Curious by alpha,price, or id? Or is there an asynchronous process happening?

Alphabetically? by ASCII sort order? If so try using a " ",".",or other character that sorts early in the title i.e .Donation then find a font that makes it super small...

If you can control if it's the first item or the last will get simpler.

Past that, going into app territory generate an image of the order and just replace the whole thing.

0 Likes