I'm using minimise theme

Thanks

Roy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
16 0 2

Hi Roy, 

I’m Jesika, a Shopify Guru - happy to help out with this! 

Currently on Shopify, a captcha is set to appear on both your newsletter and contact form signups when there are two submissions done from the same IP address within 24 hours. 

To add a captcha for the customer's first time entering information, I suggest looking into one of these contact form apps: 

There are also a couple of third party options that you can integrate onto your contact page that are quite popular: 

Hope this information helps - please feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Support Team if you have any questions. :) 

Happy selling!

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello Jesika,

I'd like to go in the other direction. Is there a way to disable the Captcha in my Shopify Theme?

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 18

I'm also receiving a lot of SPAM through the standard shopify contact form and I find it absolutely ridiculous that the only solution is to pay for an extra app or a third party to get rid of this problem. I will definitely not pay extra for something that should be a standard feature in any paid shopify plan. I will rather switch to another shop system instead.

14 Likes
Tourist
8 0 5

I am getting frustrated day by day at how they treat us. We ask for simple and obvious changes that need to be in place by default and common sense, and they laugh at us suggesting paid apps. We are already spending our time and effort for little code changes ourselves, and they are making very little effort to help us. I too want to move to another platform as soon as I learn enough how my business works.

1 Like
Excursionist
33 4 10

Since the original post entry was back in 2017, there is a new app that has surfaced that provides its service for free.

Simple Contact Us Form: https://apps.shopify.com/contact-us-by-hulkapps

If you need a contact form with a little bit more - Form Builder with File Upload: https://apps.shopify.com/form-builder-by-hulkapps (this app does contain some paid features, but the most common thing is free)

We run the 2nd app in our store in order to apply the reCAPTCHA feature, and as well to allow multiple of our support team to answer it, instead of just the account owner. We went for the 2nd one since we needed to request images to be uploaded of the product for possible returns/refunds.

I understand that this doesn't really solve the original issue that shopify itself doesn't provided the feature, but this is at least a free app that can do the job.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 18

Thanks a lot Ramona. I installed the free version now. I managed to make it look ok, even though there is no option to change the font to the same font I'm using in my store. But at least I have a captcha now and hopefully won't get bombarded with SPAM anymore.

And yes, again I absolutely think this should be a standard feature. Shopify's policy of letting us install extra apps for every single small feature makes me want to go away as soon as I have time to look into other alternatives.

2 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Hey there Roy, I found a nice workaround that includes a few lines of code and that's about it. I've posted on my blogs and it works perfectly. 

1) Go to article.liquid under Themes > Template Editor

2) Add this code to the very top of the file, starting on line 1:

<script type="text/javascript">     $(document).ready(function() {
          var n1 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
var n2 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
$
("#question").val(n1 + " + " + n2);
$(".comment-form").submit(function (e) {
if (eval($("#question").val()) != $("#answer").val()) {
$
("#answer").css('box-shadow', '0px 0px 7px red');
e
.preventDefault(); } }); }); </script>

It should look like this:

3) Add the following code in the form at the end, but before the submit button (default is line 88):

<div>
        <br/>How much is: <input type="text" disabled="disabled" id="question"/>
        <br/>Answer:* <input type="text" id="answer"/>
</div>

Make sure you save your changes, and the finished product will look like this:

1 Like
1 0 0

@Technobake_USA wrote:

Hey there Roy, I found a nice workaround that includes a few lines of code and that's about it. I've posted on my blogs and it works perfectly. 

1) Go to article.liquid under Themes > Template Editor

2) Add this code to the very top of the file, starting on line 1:

<script type="text/javascript">     $(document).ready(function() {
          var n1 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
var n2 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
$
("#question").val(n1 + " + " + n2);
$(".comment-form").submit(function (e) {
if (eval($("#question").val()) != $("#answer").val()) {
$
("#answer").css('box-shadow', '0px 0px 7px red');
e
.preventDefault(); } }); }); </script>

It should look like this:

3) Add the following code in the form at the end, but before the submit button (default is line 88):

<div>
        <br/>How much is: <input type="text" disabled="disabled" id="question"/>
        <br/>Answer:* <input type="text" id="answer"/>
</div>

Make sure you save your changes, and the finished product will look like this:

The best solution I was looking for. But I have used it for my Contact page. Thanks!

0 Likes