Adding a tick box at shipping selection

Excursionist
22 1 4

Hi,

So in my shop I offer 2 types of shipping, free residential & $4.99 for rural address as rural cost me almost double then residential so I don't offer it as a free service.

People being people always select free even if there in a rural area and then I have to manually email and edit and waste my time.

Can someone please help me add a tick box to the bottom of my shipping rates page that they have to tick before being able to confirm so I can write a note in there?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
123 6 22

Hey @KLevien,

This is a common (and annoying) problem. It's not even so much that people are trying to scam you to not pay for shipping, it's that our brains are trained to see a free shipping option and select it regardless of title. Your customers are seeing the word 'FREE' and ignoring everything else. 

There's no way to edit checkout to add a box that customer have to tick. Shopify locks down their checkout, only allowing Plus stores to be able to make any edits. Even with a checkbox, the customers who are trying to scam you will just click it anyways - they assume you won't notice and they will get free shipping. 

What you can do is use Intuitive Shipping to create postal/zip code subzones for the rural locations you ship to and assign the $4.99 for them . This way, when a customer inputs their postal/zip code, only the shipping rates you want to display to them appear. Rural customers won't even have access to a free shipping option with this strategy, so it removes this problem entirely. It's also likely orders going to the rural destinations take a bit longer in transit than the non-rural areas, so you can also customize the transit time that appears to them so you are setting proper expectations and further mitigating unnecessary customer service. 

The app is free to install and comes with a 14-day live trial so you can take it for a test drive and see how it solves your problem before committing. You can book a demo to learn how to get configured, or you can follow these instructions to get started on your own:

1. You will need 2 Shipping Scenarios. One for your rural zones, and the other for your non rural
  2. For your rural Shipping Scenario, you will want to create a Condition > Postal/Zip (I'm not sure where you're located - which you choose will depend on this) > Input the zones. You can comma separate multiple zones within the same Condition. This article explains how to create subzones
  3. Create a Shipping Method. Base it on Cart Quantity, and under the Shipping Costs section set it to Up to: ~ Shipping Cost: $4.99  
  4. Save
  5. Create a Shipping Scenario for your non-rural zone following the same steps above, just without assigning a Condition. 

You can test this setup before going live by using customer name Intuitive Shipping to trigger the rates to appear. Using this configuration, any customers who live within the zone you define will get a $4.99 shipping rate, and any customers who live outside of it will get free shipping. If you want to add expedited shipping options to your checkout based on accurate live rates, you can do this with the app, too. This has become a popular shipping strategy, since a lot of customers are willing to pay a bit extra to get their order sooner. 

If you need any assistance along the way, please feel free to book a call or reach out directly support@intuitiveshipping.com and my team will be happy to assist. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 1 4

Thanks for your reply, i believe that on the basic plan you cant integrate apps like yours, its going to cost me almost $75 a month extra just to prevent this issue but that's not really an option when I'm only turning over $1000 a month at the moment.

so there no way i can edit the theme code to insert a tick box ?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
123 6 22

Hey @KLevien,

You can add carrier calculated rates (Shopify's barrier to shipping apps) to your Basic Shopify plan for $20/mo, or for free if you switch to annual billing. Switching to annual billing also saves you 10% on your Shopify subscription. You have to contact Shopify to get it added - our users find that using their live chat is the fastest way. Just be sure to let them know that you are switching to annual billing to add the carrier calculated rates feature, otherwise some support agents won't add it. 

There is no way to add a checkbox, no. Even if you could add one, it wouldn't solve the issue since I could live in a rural zone and decide to not click the box and still get free shipping, putting you back at square 1. It would be an artificial barrier that your customers would bypass either intentionally since they know it costs more to ship to a rural zone and they're trying to avoid it, or because they simply don't read the text (this is extremely common). 

Depending on your order volume and how old your store is, you may qualify for our 'Starter' plan which includes 100 orders for $14.99. It's designed for new stores so they can get their shipping working perfectly, since it's a common area where stores lose time/money. You would have to reach out to our team via email at support@intuitiveshipping.com or ask who you book your demo with to get it added to your account. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes