Adding hidden values to products for internal use

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

I am looking to add a custom field to each of my products for internal use and then customize an order template to print that out for my shop.

For example, a tabletop takes 1.5 hrs to build and a customer orders 10 tabletops.  I am working on a "production ticket" that would print with the order for my shop to build that order.  The "production ticket" would have the item and the time it takes to build it.

It would simply be a field that I can add to each product that the customer would not see, i.e. a hidden field.

I have looked through the boards and didn't see anything specific other than custom fields for the customer to add.  This needs to be hidden from the customer, but be able to be pulled when printing out the invoice.

Thanks for any insight into this or to point me to a post that addresses this.

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
39 6 11

Hi,

You can add metafields to your product, which aren't necessarily seen by your customer unless you set them up that way in the product liquid.

Metafields can be added through apps (there are several free ones, but I can't make an exact recommendation).

Is your "production ticket" going through the Order Printer? Although the Order Printer can't directly grab from metafields, it seems there is a workaround here: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Metafields-use-on-Invoices-with-Order-Printer/m-p/266...

So you could add a metafield specifying the item time for production, and then through the Order Printer print your custom production ticket and have that ticket state the metafield's data.

If I was able to help you, please help me by liking my comment and marking it as an accepted solution.
If you're feeling extra nice, you can throw a coffee at me through Venmo @scoducks :)

I am open to new business partnerships-- let me know if you need someone to help out with design, product management, social media, marketing, or SEO!
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
97 0 8

Hi @kdcrev 

Something else to throw out there - sync your Shopify store data with Airtable, and then use additional sheets/columns in Airtable to keep track of data like this. Our app, AirPower, can help you integrate Shopify and Airtable data

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

@danielpretorius Do you have any documentation or walkthrough links for AirTable & Shopify? 

How does it function in a Production sense?
Say with each new shopify order I want to trigger AirTable to create a packing list, the order packing list would be a component breakdown for the ordered good.(like a Bill Of Material almost)
I'd then like AirTable to count the components on order to make a PO.
The scope would be small (5 products & 12-15 components in Total, an ordered/assembled product would have 4-6 components max) 

I'm basically looking to configure AirTable w/ Shopify so its a dumbed down version of Unleashed Software or something similar.

I'm thinking I may need to use Zapier, along with AirTable & AirTable sync app? Any info to help my research would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
97 0 8

Hi @Tmac ,

You'd have to use Airtable's own automations/scripts, or alternatively something like Zapier for this.

Daniel

0 Likes