I have encountered this problem before. Basically Shopify does not support file upload from a website.
The very easy fix is to use an app, this one I have used and is free to a limit
But I'm sure there are others. The form builder is easy to use, and its one ( long ) line to insert onto a webpage for your site.
Simple and solves your problem.
Figured out a more or less simple way of doing this, all that is needed is an external web server that can receive file uploads:
- Add an <input type="file" /> field to the Shopify contact form
- Add a hidden text field after the file input field, that will hold the URL to the uploaded file
- On change, use XMLHttpRequest to send the file from the field to an external web server. Unfortunately its not possible to add custom files to our Shopify webspace, so I had to use an external server, something like: https://example.com/file-upload.php
- In file-upload.php, handle the file upload and save the uploaded file on the external server
- Have file-upload.php respond with the full path to the uploaded file, for example: https://example.com/upload/file.png
- Add this full path to the hidden input field that was created earlier
- Optionally add an indication that the file was successfully uploaded
When the customer submits the form, the hidden input fields will contain the full URL to the file that was uploaded
I hope this basic write-up can help someone. If anybody needs more information just ping me here...
@MobWeb Could you kindly post or reply some practical code as an example, i don't have any idea that how will I send the image URL to any external server and will get the full path and then add through the hidden input field?
The Shopify contact form doesn't support file uploads.
To get files you'd need to explore third party apps, or consider building one. The php method above is leading into that custom work but isn't something that would be possible to give a step by step guide here on the forums. Some level of coding experience would be preferred.
At the most basic level, services like Jotform, Cognitio Forms, and others just like it would let you add something for file uploads but be aware the contact form would no longer be handled by Shopify.