Adding social media buttons to "Supply" theme

Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi,

I have thoroughly researched the topic and realized that the "Supply" theme does not have built in social media buttons. It looks like I need to edit the source code in order to add the buttons. I am not very familiar with coding, can you give me a 101 walk through so I don't mess up our site? Thanks!

Best,

Pigment Guy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
702 37 110

Hey, there!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

I've taken a look at the Supply theme for you, there would be social media sharing buttons available to add to the Footer of the Homepage. So you should be able to do this without adding extra code to your theme! If this is where you would like to add your social media links, I've made you a short video from my own test store that will show you how to do this.

In the example video, I've just used links like https://twitter.com/test, just for the purpose of the video. It's best if you visit your actual social media account, then copy the URL link to your profile. This way, you can paste it into the Shopify admin directly to make sure the link is correct.

Social media sharing is also available in Supply, you can see this if you go to Theme Settings in the storefront editor, then go to Social Media. If you scroll to the bottom, you will see the Social Sharing buttons that will show up on the product page like this

This will allow customers to share a product on their social media accounts.

Please do let me know if this is not the kind of social media buttons you would like to display on your website, just in case I have misunderstood your question! I'd be happy to keep chatting with you about this.

Speak soon!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks Ava. This is very helpful. I followed your steps and it worked!

Also, Adblock on Google Chrome will block the social media icons. Strange!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
702 37 110

No problem at all, I'm glad it worked for you!

I've also looked into the AdBlocker for you with my team. Every AdBlocker is different, but you could disable the links from appearing on your end. This wouldn’t affect your visitors if they’re not using the same AdBlocker. 

Usually, these are available as browser extensions, so it should only impact the browser that uses it.

I'm not sure which Blocker you would be using, but there is an explanation here as to why AdBlockers would sometime block social media icons.

I hope this helps!

Do let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help :)

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

Is there a way to add for instance Instagram to the social media buttons that are available on individual product pages and blogs, it only shows Facebook, Pinterest and twitter options? Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
702 37 110

Hey, @Healthwise!

Great question. At the moment, Instagram does not allow the sharing of a photo or video from a third-party website (in this case, Shopify would be the third-party site). The Instagram platform only allows you to upload content directly from within the app on your mobile device. This means that as there is no way to share content, there is no sharing button available to add directly to the product page. 

Can I ask why you wanted to let customers share your products to their Instagram feeds? Are you focusing on Instagram for your marketing campaigns, or would you have a large Instagram following at the moment? Let me know what you think!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

0 Likes