All the Tags I have created are showing up under catalog filter by all products

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have obviously made a mistake somewhere in the process and did not understand tags correctly.  My aim was to add essentially key words to each product so when some one searches my store for ex blue shoes all blue shoes would come up. I think this is probably done through collections but I am a novice here.  I thought there was a way to add tags to products so that all the products that have that tag would come up. However, when I click on Home, catalog, filter by all products, all the tags I have added to Shopify show up. Where as I wanted a more traditional category system.  

0 Likes
Astronaut
1117 150 288

So the way you used tags is generally a good practice, now when people search for anything like blue shoes or something like that it will display all of the products that have that tag. The way your themes filtering is probably set up is to use all your tags, which is understandably not what you want to do. You'd have to find where your tags are generated. It's probably done through a loop like this:

<select>
{% for tag in collection.all_tags %}
<option>{{ tag }}</option>
{% endfor %}
</select>

A way you might want to approach this is to do it is make a conditional statement to tell what collection you're on, and provide a list of tags you want to include. Kind of like:

{% case collection.handle %}
  {% when 'coats' %}
    {% assign my_tags = "Winter, Wind Breakers, Hooded" | split:", " %}
  {% when 'watches' %}
    {% assign my_tags = "Gold, Silver, Platinum" | split:", "  %}
{% endcase %}

<select>
{% for tag in my_tags %}
<option>{{ tag }}</option>
{% endfor%}
</select>
If my solution helped you, please like and accept as solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Highlighted
33 0 0

If you want to create different filter category containing several filter options such as Gender, Shoe Height, Surface, Style with optimized UI design for desktop and mobile, you can consider using Ultimate Search and Filter app. 

Offering a great product discovery to your customer is crucial to achieve business success. There are more to basic search and product filtering functionality that you may think such as Semantic search, Autocomplete, Search merchandising, Synonym search (creating equivalence for search queries, such as "sneakers" and "trainers").

0 Likes