Alternative Navigation Menu

Highlighted
6 0 0

I am using the Debut Shopify Theme. I'd like to program a Secondary Navigation Menu that will appear on all pages with the exception of the Home page. The Home page will use the Main Navigation Menu. All the other pages on the website will use the Secondary Navigation Menu. Has anyone done similar coding in Liquid or have an idea of how to achieve this programing? My rational for this is there is no reason to have a Home page tab/button on the home page but all the other pages on the site need to have a Home page tab/button to enable visitors to navigate back to the Home page?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
655 35 106

Hi, @jazzyflash.

My name is Tira and I work at Shopify. 

I'm curious to know more about what you're looking to do. It sound like you want to create a link on other areas of your store so that you can link back to your home page. Is that right?

If you create a second navigation menu, what pages do you want it to link? 

My first thought is that you can create an HTML link on each of the pages where you would like to achieve this. Here's a thread from the Shopify Community that I found, that has some resources on how you can do this: Adding a link to the homepage of the Minimal theme.  

Let me know if this helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Tira, Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion is appreciated, however this is not using what would be perceived by the visitor as a navigation menu and therefore not what I am trying to do. I want to create a alternate Navigation menu that will include a tab/link to the Home page. It would contain all the same tabs/links as the navigation menu that is on the Home page , but the Home page  navigation menu would be different because it would not include a Home tab/link ...Because when you are on the Home page there is no reason to have a link to itself. Can this be programed in Liquid, Is this possible?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
655 35 106

Thank you for helping me understand, @jazzyflash.

By default, there is one main menu and one footer menu added onto your store and you can add, edit or remove a menu by heading over to your Shopify admin and clicking on "Online Store > Navigation" to adjust your menus. Check out our help docs here: Understanding navigation

I would recommend using an app to customize your pages. Here are some of my recommendations:

Gempages Page Builder & Funnel - You can customize your homepage, product page and this app will work with any theme

Shogun Page Builder - You can add custom elements in HTML/CSS while designing custom pages 

These apps are developed by third-party developers. I recommend contacting the third-party developer with any questions or comments, by using the information listed under the "Support" section of the app's page. You can find similiar apps here: Landing Page Apps. Another option is to take a look at the menu-making apps from our App Store. 

You can also hire a Shopify Expert to custom code this for you. Shopify Experts specialize in coding custom features on your store. Check out a list of Shopify Experts, here

I am also curious to see what the community has to suggest!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes