Anchor links

Tourist
9 0 1

Hello, How do I create an anchor link (link inside the same page) ?

Thanks for your help.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
547 4 82

Hi Urbantis!

Liam here from Shopify - thank you for your question :)

Great to see you are looking to add anchor links to your pages so let's see how you can set this up. There is a good explaination of how you can create anchor links here. Basically you would need to assign an ID to a link which matches the ID of an element of this page. Then when you click on the link, the browser will jump to the element which matches the link's ID. 

Hope this helps Urbantis, if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers,
Liam

Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hi Liam,

I've been looking all over trying to find steps to do this for the Debut theme on the home page.  In my scenario, links at the top of the site should jump to different sections of the home page.

Aprpeciate any help.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1

I too am having the same problem, I am using the Debut theme and I've read everything I can find but none of them apply to this most basic theme. I am loathe to pay for a theme just so I can have this very simple feature that any other website can do.

1 Like
2 0 0
I agree the instructions don't go far enough. They don't show you exactly where to put the code for the links. I need to link to a heading on my page and there's no way to do it easily in Debut theme. This fix tells you what to put to create the anchor link, but it doesn't tell you where to put it.
0 Likes
Astronaut
1007 130 238

Of course it doesn't tell you where to put it, everyone's going to want to put it in a different spot. What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe I can help you figure out where you need to go.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
2 0 0
Hi,

I have a FAQ page, and from a paragraph in that page I want to link to the
footer of the website where there's a option to subscribe to my newsletter.

Basically, I want to link text (Newsletter) from the FAQ page to the footer
of the website so people can subscribe to the newsletter.

The footer is on every page of my website except for the get help page.

Thanks for your help,

James
0 Likes
Highlighted
Astronaut
1007 130 238

So you'll need to know if your footer container has an ID, or even the newsletter maybe. If it doesn't you'll need to add it. You can right click and inspect your footer to pull up the html and look for an id. 

Anyway, in your WYSIWYG editor for your page you can view the HTML that it generates and also add your own custom HTML. You do that by toggling the little button in the top right [<>]:

image1.png

And that will show you your html for that page. So assume I wanted to click "Content!" to take me to your footer. Toggle the html and you'll see this:

image2.png

So you'll want to add your anchor link around Content!:

image3.png

Assuming "footer-id" is your footer's id value. Since your footer probably isn't that big, it will take you as far as you can. Probably to the end of the page. 

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes