Attach a serial number during Fulfillment

xied75
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi all,

When you fulfill an order, you basically "attach" a delivery tracking number to the order. I wonder, how can we have a custom input field for a Serial Number (SN), so that we can record which machine was sold to this order?

Thanks very much for any suggestions,

Best regards,

Dong

Replies 3 (3)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2226 203 593

Couple places you can do this:

a) In the Order Notes section

b) As an order tag

I like doing it as a tag, because then it will be searchable later on if you need to pull up the order based on serial number.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
xied75
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I did think about these workarounds:

1, Order Notes: might not always be available, customer could already used it, e.g. for VAT number, PO number.

2, Order Tag: Tag by the meaning of it, is to categorise or attach "attributes", e.g. "Have_Serial_Number" is a good tag, but serial number is a concrete string, not really useful to "categorise" anything. I do agree that Search is a benefit.

I'm also using Timeline to just add a comment line for the sn. Apparently search doesn't work here.

So I was really hoping to have something similar to the Add Tracking Number stuff, make it much more formal. Would be even greater to be able to see this column in various reports.

Thanks once again,

Best regards,

Dong

Galmis
Shopify Partner
35 0 11

Hi @xied75,

I appreciate this is an old post, but if you or anybody else is still looking for a solution to this, you may want to try Serializer - Product Tracking.

With the app, you can do exactly what you need. You can "attach" serial numbers to the order line items. The serial numbers are searchable, so you can quickly find which machine was sold to which customer/order.