Bigger collection images in Supply theme

Tourist
13 0 2

I'm trying to get the collections images on the All Collections page to appear the same size as the original grey thumbnail squares shopify puts before user adds an image, see here: https://www.overtheboardwalk.com/collections

For example, get the COUPLES image to be the same size as the BEER or DOGS grey square next to it for which I still havn't put up an image.

I searched for a "collage" field in all the Edit Code files to play around and found nothing.

Anybody have some input on this? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
588 56 117

Hey there, Laurent!

Bo here from Shopify Support.

That is a really brilliant question. When it comes to thumbnail images in the collections page the size of the image displayed is completely determined by the size of the image uploaded. Your product and collection images can be any size up to 4472 x 4472 px, or 20 megapixels. Product and collection images need to have a file size smaller than 20 MB to be added to Shopify.

High-resolution photos will look more polished and professional to your customers. For square product images, a size of 2048 x 2048 px usually looks best, from what I can see the image you are using currently is very small (572 by 572px). Try using a larger image to resolve this.

When thumbnail images are shown side by side on pages, they have different sizes. To make your images appear to be the same size, you need to use a consistent aspect ratio, or height-to-width ratio, for all the images that you add as your featured, or main, images.

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,
Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 2

No change...

Modified the "COUPLES" collection image from 571px x 571px to 1000px x 1000px and nothing changed on the collection list. The thumbnails still look smaller than the grey sample thumbnails.

Is there anything in the code that prevents them of being larger that i can modified?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
588 56 117

Hey there, Laurent! 

Thank you for getting back to me. Could you please try 2048 x 2048px as I mentioned previously? I understand that you have already doubled the size, however, there is no code preventing the image from being as big as the place-hold image. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 2

Thanks, that seems to do the trick. However with many PNG files at 2048px it slows down the site load speed considerably. Should I switch to GIF or JPEG or is there another format you recommend i export my images to that is compatible with most browsers today?

0 Likes
17 0 0

Hi Bo,

Where does on make this change to image size? 

Thanks, Teejay

0 Likes