Brooklyn Theme - How to make footer social media icons open to new tab?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Using the Brooklyn theme, and I am unable to figure out how to open the link to my social media (Facebook, Instagram) to a separate tab so my website page remains open.

I have read that you must alter the code from the social-links liquid, but the info given is outdated and does not apply.

Can someone copy and paste the correct line of code that I need to find, and then provide the code that replaces that code? I have spent so much time on this, and I'm afraid I'm going to really screw up the entire thing.

Thank you so much!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
441 45 47

Hello There, 

Kindly check the below steps :-

1. Go into Sections > footer.liquid. Add find following code in this file:

find code Facebook, Instagram

<li>
<a href="{{ settings.social_facebook_link | escape }}" title="{{ 'layout.footer.social_platform' | t: name: shop.name, platform: 'Facebook' }}">
<span class="icon icon-facebook" aria-hidden="true"></span>
Facebook
</a>
</li>

<li>
<a href="{{ settings.social_instagram_link | escape }}" title="{{ 'layout.footer.social_platform' | t: name: shop.name, platform: 'Instagram' }}">
<span class="icon icon-instagram" aria-hidden="true"></span>
Instagram
</a>
</li>

2. Now, replace the above code with following:

<li>
<a target="_blank" href="{{ settings.social_facebook_link | escape }}" title="{{ 'layout.footer.social_platform' | t: name: shop.name, platform: 'Facebook' }}">
<span class="icon icon-facebook" aria-hidden="true"></span>
Facebook
</a>
</li>

<li>
<a target="_blank" href="{{ settings.social_instagram_link | escape }}" title="{{ 'layout.footer.social_platform' | t: name: shop.name, platform: 'Instagram' }}">
<span class="icon icon-instagram" aria-hidden="true"></span>
Instagram
</a>
</li>

Want to modify or develop new app, Hire us.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: support@zestard.com
Shopify Apps URL :- https://apps.shopify.com/partners/zestard-technologies
Custom Modifications Into Shopify Theme | Shopify Private App | SEO & Digital Marketing
0 Likes