Brooklyn Theme - Link Photo Click to Change Variant Selection

Tourist
6 0 0

In the Brooklyn Theme, is there a way to make the variant selection change to the variant photo that is selected? The variant selection changes when the variant title is chosen but not when the photo is chosen. In this example, I've selected the "lovebirds" photo option but the "scroll flower" variant is the active variant. If the customer is viewing the lovebirds and chooses to add to cart, they are actually adding the scroll flower variant. My customers are confused and I'm experiencing inaccurate orders.Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 8.33.18 AM.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
461 23 54

Hey, @Derek_G!

Ava here from Shopify :)

There is a guide in our support docs here that will show you how to edit your themes code so that when you select a variant image, it wl change the main image photo. Can you take a look here and see how you get on? You should end up with something like this when you're done!

click-change-variant-7a9f561b3343ea29d9a5aa8fb892bce90576c201d4d9e10229357df3feb7316b

If you find yourself having some trouble with this, then our theme support team should be able to help you out. Let me know if you do run into any issues, we can take things from there!

Speak soon!

Ava 

Social Care

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 0

Hey Ava, the solution has a caution that it will not work with Brooklyn. Any thoughts?Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 10.24.46 AM.png

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 0

Hey Ava, this solution indicates a caution that it doesn't actually work with the Brooklyn theme. This function does seem like a basic function that should already be built into the theme and I'm happy to make changes to the code if you can guide me on which changes to make, please. Thank you :)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
461 23 54

Hi again, Derek!

Apologies for the delayed response here! I've had a chat with our Theme Support team about this customization. I'm afraid it would not work with Brooklyn, as Brooklyn has two types of variant selectors to choose from - Button or Dropdown menu:

11-41-89sqv-6jlpi

A customization would need to be made so this works for both options. However, you should be able to do this with the help of a developer! You can actually post a job on the Shopify Experts Page and see what feedback and quotes you get. You can find where and how to do this here. Alternatively, another Community member here may be able to help you out! A lot of Partners/Experts hang out here on our Forums to answer questions like these, so hopefully, you may get an answer :)

Apologies as well on my part here, I must not have seen the part of this tutorial that says it will only work with certain themes. I do hope you get an answer for this soon!

Thanks so much!

Ava 

Social Care

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 0

Thank you for your guidance. This seems like a fundamental function that should exist in the basic theme that all users of Shopify's Brooklyn Theme could benefit from. Perhaps there is a way to put in a ticket for the developers of the theme to consider introducing?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
461 23 54

Absolutely, I do think this is a great idea! I will submit this to our internal team to be reviewed as a possible future feature of the admin. As our platform is constantly growing and improving, our team love to get feedback from our merchants on what features/edits they need to improve their workflow. So once I submit this as a feature request on your behalf, our team can review the request. So hopefully, this can be something that is available in the future.

There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, *or* make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

While we would not have a specific timeline for how long that might take, you can definitely keep an eye on our announcements page. We will post any new updates or developments there. Thanks for your understanding here!

Ava 

Social Care

0 Likes