Built-in product videos out of the box announcement for October - > where is it & how to use it ?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi !

I received one month ago a mail from Shopify about the new product video feature :

Capture.JPG

Since then I've saw on my admin area a notification about this feature being added to the platform.

But I don't understand how to use it..? I know that my theme allow some kind of youtube upload -> video embed in the product desc but I guess Shopify did it the good way, uploading video in the product media area.

Can't find any informations on that topic, anyone know ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
155 14 16

Hey there, @NERD1!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'd be happy to elaborate in regards to this new media support option we've brought to give merchants a new way to show off their products. Are you a partner or a merchant?

This feature will allow videos to be supported, and appear in product media galleries. It also supports 3D models, which can be viewed by visitors through most browsers and through augmented reality on smartphones.

Support for Video and 3D Models have been added to the GraphQL and the GraphQL Storefront API, allowing partners to develop media apps that read and write media to a shop, and– via the Storefront API– access media information for use on custom storefronts. Partners can also leverage app extensions to build media editing/creation apps that can embed directly into the Products pages of the Shopify admin through an Admin link.

If you're not a partner or developer, you can follow this guide to get started. You'll need to hire an Expert to help you build the 3D models, which you can then add to the 3D Warehouse App.

If you are a partner or developer, you might find these resources helpful:

You can also reference this post written by our Community Manager, Ty, regarding the limitations of the developer preview. Any questions can be asked in our Community Forums in the API & SDK section.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
4 0 0
Thanks for your answer !
So as a merchant, I’ll have to wait for my theme provider to add the functionality to the theme right ?
0 Likes