Bulk Adding/Updating of Variants with Virtual Buttons

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

I'm in my trial period. I was really excited to move my current store of 14,000 products over to Spopify after 8 years with 3D Cart but I'm running into issues before I have even migrated my product data over.

I have a current store with 14,000 products where there is a simple "options" template.  You add all your options/variants for each product type, add the price, and with one push of a button you can update every  product/collection/category you linked to that options template.  I can make price changes or options changes within seconds.

I had no idea this would be such a ridiculously hard thing to do in Shopify.  I've spent 3 days reading and researching help articles, looking at countless apps, reading whatever I could hear in the forum.  

I sell photography backdrops.  Customers can choose from around 8 different materials but those materials only  come in certain sizes.  One material may come in 10 sizes while another is only available in 2 sizes.  Instead of having one GIANT dropdown with every material in each of the sizes we offer I wanted to have simple buttons that were intuitive.  I needed a button option where if you click on the button of the material you want you will only see the size buttons appear that the material is available in.  One of my  competitors has this option but I have no idea how they got it set up (developer or found an app).

So I did some digging and trying apps.  I found one called "Best Custom Product Options" and I thought they were the answer to all of my problems.  I was able to add all my variants to the product and then worked with their app to create buttons.  It wasn't 100% perfect but I figured it could work for me until I found something which was exactly what I wanted.  Their app showed all the materials buttons, and all the sizes.  When you click the material you want; only the sizes allowed were clickable.  The rest were grayed out (I don't love that it doesn't hide them but I can live with it so I can get my new site going).   

I was excited that I had what seemed like an easy app and a decent work around.  UNTIL....I realized their "BULK" duplicator option didn't work because my variants were made at the Shopify product level and not in the app.  it says if your product options are "virtual" you can bulk duplicate them.  I found this out here:  https://www.relentlessapps.com/kb/why-arent-my-shopify-options-getting-duplicated-by-the-duplication...

I have 14,000+ products I'm going to be moving over and I absolutely  cannot update the products ONE BY ONE to add variants that link to virtual buttons. 

How in the world am I supposed to mass add a huge list of variants to 14,000 products?   How is this not an option in shopify?   I even tried to export 10 products and copy the variants to another product  without any.  I added blank rows and just copied over the variant rows and made sure to change the handle to the proper product name, etc.  When I was done with the test import it didn't work.  I have no idea if I did it correctly or not.  I just tried to copy what  I saw into new blank...  I'm not a CSV wizard. 

I'm very good technically but I'm not a developer or coder and I'm a business of ONE.  There is no tech support, there is just me!   Am I really expected to hire a random company that I don't know and pay hundreds of extra dollars over the Shopify monthly fee, just to bulk edit my 14,000 products to add my variants and virtual buttons?  I can't afford to hire experts at every twist and turn.  

Or is there some other app that you can duplicate your variants to whole collections (and make buttons) with a few clicks?

Please help.  I've bee up trying to figure this out until 5 and 6am every night for days.  Soon I will end up staying with 3D cart even with their flaws.....   

I was really excited to switch over but had no ideas the SIMPLEST task in my current site would be a nightmare to figure out.  Sorry for the long message.  I'm super frustrated. 

Jen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
263 68 74

Hi @PPFB 

Thanks Welcome to the Shopify community!
You have to create a CSV or upload it one by one. It's the best option for this. Please share your site URL

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
-Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on vikaschovatiya02@gmail.com regarding any help
If you are happy and want to donate small Click here (Its my paypal)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

I tried a CSV and it didn’t change anything on the other products. Unless I’m doing something wrong it didn’t work. 

My site is not live yet. I’m in a trial period trying to decide if it’s even worth it to spend hundreds on a migration for a site that I cannot simply update products on. 

I need help from the community.

-There has to be a way for a store owner to make mass changes to their variant data or pricing with out going down through 14000 product lines in a spreadsheet and changing each one by one.   

-There also has to be a way to bulk add variants with virtual buttons from one product to all products. 

I hope someone can help me. I don’t want to lose all the work I did during my trial period when it ends and I refuse to pay $299 after 14 days if I don’t get help from Shopify on how to do this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
263 68 74

Hi @PPFB 

The way you want, I think you have to upload one by one. There is no other way in Shopify.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
-Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on vikaschovatiya02@gmail.com regarding any help
If you are happy and want to donate small Click here (Its my paypal)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

I truly hope not.  I can't imagine how that would be productive for any business owner to have up update variants one by one when they have 14,000 +++ products.   

I hope someone come through with help.

0 Likes