Bulk editing variants HELP!

lockycaple
Tourist
11 0 3

Is it possible to bulk edit a variant such as size? I have a lot of product and multiple sizes, and would rather not have to edit each one individually. 

Also, size variants are not a option in the “Add fields” section in the (Bulk editor) page. 

DB2B238D-E283-468D-9626-6E3EFC8ED358.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
439 45 114

Hi, @lockycaple!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Are you trying to get edit one color for all the products in your store or are you just wanting a faster way to edit your variants other than the bulk editor in your admin?

If you're looking to make edits to all of your products and variants quickly you can definitely export them all into a CSV/spreadsheet in order to make multiple changes much faster. When you've finished your edits, just be sure to overwrite the old products with the new edits when you upload the CSV.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
lockycaple
Tourist
11 0 3

Hey Lilith, 

Thanks for your reply, I'm wanting to change all this sizes for my products. My US sizing is slightly off to the Euro sizing as displayed in that picture. For example a Euro 45 isn't equal to a US 11.5 like I have in my product. It is actually 11. Slight mistakes throughout all the products and want a quick way to edit it rather than individually... if that all makes sense? Would your solution work for that? 

Thanks, 

Locky

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
439 45 114

@lockycaple I believe it will work well for your case. I've personally used CSVs as a way to edit thousands of variants quickly using Excel and Google Sheets. If you're a beginner with spreadsheets, you'll still find this method to be fairly straightforward. 

We do have a great guide on how the CSVs work and we also have some great steps on how to edit them in Google Sheets to make many changes quickly.

The other thing you can try is some apps to help you. All of them will be 3rd party apps which means that Shopify didn't create them and are supported by the 3rd party that developed them. However, it doesn't hurt to try some apps if you find that the CSV method is a bit inconvenient in any way.

lockycaple
Tourist
11 0 3

Thank you! I will have a look at it and let you know how I go

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
439 45 114

@lockycaple fantastic! Take your time and use the guides to the best of your abilities. Once you learn this, I guarantee you'll love it and want to use that method more often. Keep me posted and if you need any help with anything along the way!

lockycaple
Tourist
11 0 3

Hey Lilith,

I have used Excel to edit my products. It worked great thanks. I then saved it as a CSV file and now tried to import it back onto my store but it won't accept the file. I tried using Google Chrome as well but no luck. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.14.35 am.png

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Locky

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
439 45 114

Hi, @lockycaple! The error message seems to indicate that perhaps the file you saved isn't in CSV format. It's definitely great to use Excel to edit, but when you save the file you'll want to export it as CSV. The file will have a little extension at the end that looks like .csv instead of .xls or .xslx.

I found this guide online on how to export your file in UTF-8 CSV format. That should be able to quickly solve the error you're seeing when importing.

0 Likes