Can I Keep Express Checkout Payment Options, but Remove Them From the Cart?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hello! I like the option of having PayPal, GPay and Apple Pay as payment options, as they are fast and easy and I like the name brand feel they give to the site. BUT - I've been told that express checkout is not great for my business from a customer acquisition standpoint, since they can click one of those buttons right away and don't have to opt-in to my email list to move into the Checkout. 

Is there a way to only have these buttons appear at the Checkout screen so a user has all the options possible, but I still can grab their email BEFORE this step? 

P.S. I'm using the Supply Theme w/ modal cart.

and THANKS!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 17 40

Hi, @steveisaacs!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

Having accelerated checkout methods like PayPal Express, GPay and Apple Pay are great ways to make it easy for customers to checkout quickly using their preferred payment method. With these methods enabled, dynamic checkout buttons are displayed on product pages and will change dynamically based on the customer’s preferred method. 

While dynamic checkout buttons make it quick and easy for customers to complete their purchase, you’re right in that it does not give customers the opportunity to opt-in to email marketing. Luckily, you can easily remove the dynamic checkout buttons from your product pages, while still having these payment methods available in the checkout itself. 

To do this in the Supply theme, you’ll just want to head over to your Theme Editor, in Online store > Themes > CustomizeFrom here, you’ll want to navigate to Product pages from the dropdown menu at the top of your screen (it will currently say Home page). Once there, click the Product section on the left-hand sidebar, then uncheck the option to Show dynamic checkout buttons. If you need extra guidance, here’s a video outlining the process.

Once that’s done, you should now only see the accelerated checkout methods in the checkout itself, instead of on the product pages. Let me know if that helps!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 2

Thanks Julie!

Yes this is all good, save for ONE thing - the express payment buttons still show up on my modal cart - is there any way to remove them here as well?

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 5.32.54 PM.png

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 17 40

To remove the dynamic checkout buttons from your modal cart, you'll just need to edit your theme's code. Are you comfortable with custom code?

If not, that's completely alright! Because you're using a free theme developed by Shopify, you're actually eligible for 60 minutes of design time from our Themes Team (as long as you are on a paid Shopify plan). This design time is intended for small, specific customizations just like this. I've actually checked with my Themes Team and this is something they would be able to take care of for you. That being said, I've gone ahead and sent an email to the address on your forums profile. If you can simply respond to that email, I can have the request sent up.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 2

Thanks so much! I didn't know about the 60 mins of help (so cool!), but if it's just making a code addition, I'd rather just get the instructions for that if I can and handle it on my own (and so I can know what's happening to my theme) then save the 60 mins for something more intense ;)

I'll follow up with the email - and thanks again!

1 Like