Can I run shopify within a subdirectory?

5 0 0

I would like to run shopify within a subdirectory (not subdomain) of my website (ex. mysite.com/store).  I have found instructions showing how to do it with a subdomain, but no instructions with a subdirectory.  Is it even possible with Shopify?  If so, how can I set it up?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2490 171 375

Hi Nick, 

Nick here from Shopify.

Based on your question (ex. mysite.com/store) I'm thinking a URL redirect could be what you're looking for. A URL redirect will enable you to apply a /store essentially editing the URL structure and customising it you what you'd like. 

You can see the URL redirect from Online Store > Navigation > URL redirect Shopify has a helpful guide going into this in more detaila also which you can see from here

Hopefully this help and is what you're looking for. Don't hesiate to ask any other questions about anything. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9807 91 1558

No. You'd need to opt for the subdomain method instead of the subfolder. 

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
5 0 0

Yes, I did end up using a sub-domain (store.mysite.com), as I don't think you can use a subfolder with Drupal and Shopify correctly.  A shame, because the SEO would be much better for the site using a sub-domain.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Excursionist
31 0 2

You mean "because the SEO would be much better for the site using a sub-directory"

?

0 Likes
1 0 1

@Jason wrote:

No. You'd need to opt for the subdomain method instead of the subfolder. 

Hi Jason,

I have the same question "can shopify be setup on a subdirectory/subfolder" and came across your response while searching the community forum. You're clearly a Shopify Expert so no questions asked there, but would really appreciate understanding further why it has to be a subdomain (and not subdirectory/subfolder).

Does it have anything to do with the existing domain and being able to only have one A record associated with the primary domain (thus not being able to point it to Shopify if its already being pointed at the existing self hosted wordpress site)?

1 Like
Excursionist
31 0 2

I guess that's a possibility. Another thing could be the unique Shopify URL structure...

0 Likes