Solved

Where did my domain go and how can I reconnect it?

ClaudiaAK
Tourist
5 1 2

Hello!

Is there an expiration date on a domain?

I cannot find my domain on the web?   So no one can subscribe to my website.

Also, I notice that Shopify has it as available.  But now they are asking to buy it and open a new store!

I just want back my domain and instructions on how to connect it to my already available Shopify store.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.  

CK

Accepted Solution (1)
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 305

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for getting back to me, @ClaudiaAK

I'm so glad you were able to get your domain back. If it was a Shopify-purchased domain I wonder if any of the emails ended up in your spam folder?

To answer your questions:

1. You don't need to sign anything further for the ICANN policy or Domain Registration Agreement. By confirming purchase of your domain, you are effectively agreeing to the terms set out by ICANN.
  2. Each Shopify store comes with a SSL security certificate, this is effectively the 'S' in https in your web address. When you purchase a new domain, the domain propagation can take a full 24-48 hours which could explain the security error you are seeing, however, this is typically resolved much quicker.

Would you mind sharing your store URL with me so I can check to see if I'm able to replicate your error?

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 305

Hey, @ClaudiaAK.

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

I'd be glad to help you sort this out today, and get your domain back sooner than later. All domains have registration periods, which are typically 1 year in length when you purchase them through Shopify.

This means when one year has passed from your date of purchase, you will be asked to renew your domain. Most domain providers have options for renewal, and you can easily set up your Shopify domain to auto-renew under Admin > Online Store > Domains > Manage Domain > Auto-renew.

What happens when your domain registration period comes to an end?

• You will be sent email reminders in the days leading up to the domain expiration.
  • Domain will become disconnected if it is not renewed.
  • Domain enters grace period where no other user can purchase it. You may still renew the domain at this time.
  • The grace period is 40 days on Shopify, after which the domain is made available to the public for sale.

You mentioned that your domain is available for sale, so it sounds likely that your grace period has ended and you will need to purchase the domain again. You do not have to set up a new store to purchase the domain, you can simply log in to your existing store and follow these steps:

Purchase a domain through Shopify

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.

2. Click Buy new domain.

3. Enter the domain name that you want to buy.

4. Available extensions and their prices will be listed. Extension options include common extensions (such as .com or .biz), country extensions (such as .ca or .co.uk), and unique extensions (such as .blackfriday). Prices vary, so review the options carefully.

5. Click Buy next to the domain that you want to buy.

6. Review the purchase summary:

I. Review the personal information. By default, the Shopify store owner's email and information are used to purchase and renew domains.

II. Check Auto-renew this domain every year if you want your domain to be automatically renewed for you before it expires.

III. Confirm whether this domain offers WHOIS Privacy. WHOIS lets people to look up information about the owner of a domain name. WHOIS Privacy is a service that hides your information from a WHOIS lookup, keeping your personal contact information hidden from the public. If the domain name that you entered offers WHOIS privacy, then a message appears that informs you that the domain includes WHOIS privacy, and that your personal information will not be displayed in public domain registration records. However, if you don't receive this message and you want WHOIS privacy on your domain, click Cancel, and then select a different domain extension that isn't on the WHOIS Exceptions list.

IIII. Read the ICANN policy and the Domain Registration Agreement.

7. If you are satisfied, click Buy domain. You will receive an email from Shopify confirming your purchase. It can take up to 48 hours for your new domain to start working.

8. You'll receive an email requesting you to verify your email address after you buy the domain. If you don't receive a verification email, then check the spam folder of your email inbox or resend it from your Shopify admin. If you don't verify your email address, then your domain might be suspended.

Connect your third-party domain to Shopify

Should you purchase your domain through another third-party provider, make sure to follow these instructions on connecting it to your Shopify site.

I trust that will work, but let me know if you have further questions I can help with.

Warm regards,

ClaudiaAK
Tourist
5 1 2

Hi Olivia!

Thank you for your help!  I now have my domain back.  I did search my emails but did not see any on renewing the domain.

I do have a couple of questions still?

a) I read the ICANN - Should I be signing anything?

b) My website is showing as not secure.  I did a mock-up sale and it did not go through.  It said my website is not secure and my information can be hacked!

Why is that and what can I do to change it?  

Thank you so much for all your help!

CK

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 305

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for getting back to me, @ClaudiaAK

I'm so glad you were able to get your domain back. If it was a Shopify-purchased domain I wonder if any of the emails ended up in your spam folder?

To answer your questions:

1. You don't need to sign anything further for the ICANN policy or Domain Registration Agreement. By confirming purchase of your domain, you are effectively agreeing to the terms set out by ICANN.
  2. Each Shopify store comes with a SSL security certificate, this is effectively the 'S' in https in your web address. When you purchase a new domain, the domain propagation can take a full 24-48 hours which could explain the security error you are seeing, however, this is typically resolved much quicker.

Would you mind sharing your store URL with me so I can check to see if I'm able to replicate your error?

Warm regards,

ClaudiaAK
Tourist
5 1 2

Hi Olivia,

My website is now showing as secure! I did a test purchase and it is working fine.  I really need to have it up and running before next week!

Thank you so much for all your help!

CK

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 305

Perfect - I am so glad to hear that, @ClaudiaAK.

Good luck with your sales going into BFCM (Black Friday Cyber Monday) weekend! I thought I'd pass along this helpful BFCM checklist to help you get prepared as well.

Sincerely,

LauraYungblut
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Olivia,

My Shopify account is paid until December 11th 2022 however when I go to the website it no longer works. It was inactive for the summer. The website is www.laurayungblut.com

Any idea why this no longer works?

Laura

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 305

Thanks for reaching out, @LauraYungblut.

In order for us to investigate what the issue is, we need access to your account. To move forward with authenticated support for your security and privacy, please connect with our 24/7 Support team directly at your earliest convenience.

We look forward to connecting,