Can't I just build a Shopify theme without Slate or Theme Kit?

Solved
Tourist
3 0 0

First I'd just like to state that I'm a fairly "old-school" web designer so I may be a bit biased here. However I'm open to all counter opinions!

I've never created a full theme from scratch, but have a lot of time doing heavy reworks and customizations to existing themes, some in such large scale that they may have been full rewrites. I've worked with some premium themes purchased by clients for their store, and via addressing various problems or limitations nearly tore them down and rebuilt from the ground up.

On this note, I am interested in making a few new themes built in mind with the typical improvements, code aesthetics and features I often find lacking in working with many commercial themes. After reading through the start up material for Shopify, I'm finding it heavily pushing towards Slate and Theme Kit. In fact, I've found very little discussion about making a theme without using these frameworks.

Is it possible I can just work directly in Shopify and build my theme by hand? Would this be scoffed at? I am a solo designer and don't need a collab team with version control, multiple environments, or to use local editors.

Looking forward to any thoughts or opinions!

Thanks
John

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0

Any opinions?

0 Likes

Success.

Astronaut
1091 150 274

Yeah that's completely doable. We redesigned our theme from the ground up from Nov last year to Feb of this year and launched in May. Havent had any issues. We did not use themekit or Slate. Though it's not a theme for purchase or anything, it's the same principal. We used this naked theme as a starting point:

https://github.com/thisiscapra/shopify-naked

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
3 0 0

That's so terrific - thanks for sharing!

The Naked theme looks exactly what I was looking for. More stripped down than the other alternatives, not sure if it was Slate or the main Theme Kit default but it sounded like they were loaded down with extra assets.

Glad to hear someone was able to successfully bootstrap their own theme!

0 Likes
1 0 0

I was wondering, how do you develop your site locally without using Theme Kit or Slate? I've been looking for better solutions, and Motifmate only has a 14 day free trial. Maybe you can help point me to the right direction?

0 Likes