Can you upload a theme exactly as it is on another site? Replicating sites.

Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Is it possible to upload a theme and have it be exactly as the site it was from? Want to make a duplicate of a site without doing all the work again?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
509 14 122

Hey, Brooklyn!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Absolutely! You can back up a copy of the theme from one store, download it and upload it to a different store. If it's a free theme, it's fairly simple. If it is a paid theme, you will need to buy it again if you intend to use it on both stores as the license is only good for one store at a time. As well as the theme, you can export the products, customers and even orders if you want to and import them to the new store. You can find the instructions in our Backups and duplication guide.

Do you mind if I ask why you are doing this? If you intend to run two or more identical stores for the purpose of selling in different currencies or language, let me know. If the stores will be on the Shopify plan ($79 per month) or above, we can help with a multi-store discount. This would not be available if you are selling different products on each store though.

I'll look out for your response in case you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Aria

Yes, this is intended to run an identical store in different currencies and regions.

It's done through a free theme.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
509 14 122

Hi, Brooklyn.

Aria again. 

That sounds great. I will send you an email and when you are ready, you can respond to let me know you're ready for both stores to be on a plan and let me know which plan you need them to be on. I can then escalate to our billing team to have that sorted out for you. 

With regards to the theme, you may need to do certain edits when it's imported to the new store since it may partly rely on files that are uploaded to the previous store but for the most part, it should be an easy transfer for you. 

Let me know if you think of more questions. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Thanks Aria.

I actually have many.

After having uploaded a copy of the theme to a new site.

I can't seem to find certain pages, forms from the previous site.

Also whenever I preview the online store, it redirects to the original live online store.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
509 14 122

Hey, Brooklyn!

Aria again!

Yes, moving the theme from one store to another is one thing. Any pages and forms you created are not part of the theme and would need to be transferred separately. Similarly, your menus won't automatically carry across simply by exporting the theme. The navigation would need to be edited on the new store. 

I'm not sure why your new store would redirect to the original live store. The URL's should not be associated at all. Have you set up the same domain on the new store? If you still haven't figured that out, please reply to my email with a screencast video, showing that happening so that I can get a better idea of what is causing it. 

Have a great weekend!

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
3 0 0
Got a similar question. I’m planing on getting rapid weaver to crate my template, now when I’m done will I be able to just upload it directly to Shopify? If not is there a way to make it work?
0 Likes