Cart 'Notes' not showing on orders!

alita99
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi All,

We just launched a new website but for some reason, the notes that people can add to their orders are not working. They are active, they just don't get added to the orders, resulting in us losing valuable order information.

I have verified the cart-template.liquid file with another, working, website, and these two do match up.

I believe that there might be an issue with Shopify adding these notes to the orders.

UPDATE: This may have to do with the App 'Customer Reorder', which has an option to leave notes, separate from the Shopify system. I believe they may 'override' the cart notes from Shopify.

Thank you,

Replies 22 (22)

alita99
Tourist
5 0 3

Well, after disabling the 'Customer Reorder' app, the Shopify cart notes started to work properly again.

What **bleep**ty programming on the App developer's end.

alita99
Tourist
5 0 3

UPDATE: My bad, this did not resolve the solution. The Reorder app is not at fault!

Zack_Lerner
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Bumping this since I'm currently having the same issue. Any luck in finding a solution? Here's the textarea I currently have in my cart:

<textarea name="note" id="CartSpecialInstructions" class="mb1" placeholder="Write your message here..." maxlength="150">{{ cart.note }}</textarea>

Products are getting passed through to checkout correctly, but after processing and reviewing the order there aren't any notes attached to it.

choccywoccydood
Tourist
10 0 2

We're having the same problem - Notes just stopped showing up on Orders. Did anyone find a solution?

Panda_Lab
Visitor
1 0 2

Same Probleme here with debut theme. It seems not to work with Paypal Express Checkout. With creditcard checkout it works fine. Does anyone hava an idea? Thank you

Mick_Smith
Excursionist
34 0 13

Can confirm we are having the same issue are have customers emailing us angrily that there orders were not drilled!

Would be nice if someone from shopify would at least let us know they are looking at the issue!! Its been 2 weeks since this was initially reported.

Zack_Lerner
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

My issue was most likely an outlier, which is why I hadn't posted a solution here, but following up now just in case it helps someone.

The cart I was using was somewhat non-traditional in the sense that it wasn't wrapped in a form element and was using some 3rd party JS (that I wasn't all that familiar with) to handle submissions, etc. Simply wrapping the cart in a form element cleared things up for me.

Hope it's that easy for you guys!

GjustaGoods
Visitor
2 0 2

Having similar issues - customer notes seem lost in space! Has anyone found a solution? Would love to know where to find the notes customers are adding!!

Quartz
Excursionist
29 0 10

Having the same issue

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

a) you have to enable notes on cart first

Online Store --> Customize  then when on the main page just click on the shopping cart

on left you will see ENABLE NOTES

select save top right

b) if you want them to show on your emails...

- click on settings bottom left

- notifications on the right

- scroll down to NEW ORDER for the merchant order notification

add this wherever you want the note to show

{% if note != '' %}
Note: {{ note }}
{% endif %}

If you want to keep the structure of the invoice page, add it add the end and right above the 

<table class="row footer">

use this

{% if note != '' %}

<table><td><tr>

<p style="padding:40px;">

Note: {{ note }}

</p>
</td></tr></table>
{% endif %}

Hope this helps you now.

You would do the same wherever you want the note displayed on the emails.

IF you want to display it on any of the screens that a customer sees for their order change it to  {{ order.note }}   and you will be good.

James Byrne, Owner, Information Architect (USMC VET)
After Dark Grafx - Since 1992
"We Work After Dark, So You Don't Have To!"
https://www.afterdarkgrafx.com

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

I also build custom apps for Shopify!
ClayChurchill
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also experiencing the cart notes not showing up on the order.  Has anyone found a fix for this? I spent an hour with a Shopify rep and they think it is a theme issue. The last time I saw a customer note on an order was in mid-December 2019. I published a version of our them from before then and it is still not working.

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

@ClayChurchill send me a collaborator invite - I will message you...

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

sorry can't message you - weird. you can send me an invite to sales [at] afterdarkgrafx.com -   go to --> Settings --> Accounts ---> scroll down and you will see where you can send an invite to collaborate, etc.  I can take a quick peak for free

QianKu
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi everyone, 

Having same problem here! Anyone solved it??

psydigital
Visitor
1 0 0

Just found an App named "Limit Qty Purchase" has a snippet, named mc-limit.liquid that once removed from the theme, "Storefront", then shows the order Notes. 

My suspicion is that the above template file uses the cart API and doesn't check for the notes field when passing over the order via JS. 

I have reported this behaviour to the developers. 

XBGoofBall
Visitor
1 0 1

I've recently noticed that order notes are not coming through while other customer notes are being attached to their orders without issue. I have been able to pinpoint the issue on my store.  Order notes for customers who go through the entire checkout process and enter their payment information directly via credit card or paypal are being passed on and properly attached to each specific order.

Order notes from our customers that use any express checkout option (i.e Apple Pay, Google Pay, Facebook Payments or PayPal Express) are not being attached to the order and passing on to the back end of Shopify.

This is what I found directly with my store on Shopify. It may be a different issue entirely for your store.  We don't use any specific checkout apps on our store.  Hopefully Shopify is able to patch this as it is costing our shop money and loss of repeat customers due to an obvious lack of communication.  I know I would be kind of miffed if I specifically requested a particular change or instruction and the vendor just totally disregarded my request with no explanation.  That just looks bad.

icareboxco
Tourist
6 0 0

Yes this is also our problem exactly. Very frustrating as we are a gift shop and every giftbox come with a “note from the buyer to recipient”. So we are not getting notes through from any express payment types. 

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

@icareboxco workaround may be to add notes box to each product as a custom field - it is a little dirty but would work and be a part of the order. it sucks that this is not implemented better within Shopify.

Thewildbunch
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi! @icareboxco  Florist from Tassie here having the same issue 🤗 Have contacted Shopify several times and they cant seem to work out why its happening. I've just had a look at your beautiful website and notice your 'card message' section looks different from the shopify one. Can I ask which app this is from and is it working now for you?

xiaopei
Tourist
19 0 2

We too are having issues with customer notes not saving to the orders.  We did discover that after notes are input you must select "update cart" for the order notes to save.  This did not have to be done in the past and we have not made any changes that would have created this issue.  I have added directions above the notes section indicating to click "update cart" but in haste it is often overlooked.  Any help with this would be appreciated.  Also frustrating that the notes section cannot be accessed if a customer uses the mini cart on our site and goes directly to checkout.  They must first select view cart in order to get to the notes field.  Any help on that front would be appreciated as well.

Our website is www.ebuilderdirect.com 

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

@xiaopei did you try my workaround above? - see dated ‎08-26-2020 01:31 PM  James 

pahrumpmike
Tourist
3 0 1

The shopify experts at IT-Geeks have fixed the notes issue for our business. Their rates are beyond reasonable and if you are having a notes problem, or pretty much any other sort of problem, I can highly recommend them.