Change 'CONTINUE SHOPPING' link destination

Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

I want my continue shopping to go back to my home page, which is where all my collections are seen.

I do not want it to go to "previous page" because I don't know where that might be.

Below is where in Cart.Template.Liquid I see the code

soccer-views_0-1602613485722.png

What specifically do I have to put in after <a href="   ????

Just a simple https://sketch-views.com/    ????    

And leave the class reference?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

For anyone using Brooklyn and wanting to change the link from an empty cart to home:

original code:

<header class="section-header text-center">
<h1 class="text-center">{{ 'cart.general.title' | t }}</h1>
<hr class="hr--small">
<p class="cart--empty-message">{{ 'cart.general.empty' | t }}</p>
<p class="cart--continue-browsing">{{ 'cart.general.continue_browsing_html' | t: link: routes.all_products_collection_url }}</p>
<p class="cookie-message">{{ 'cart.general.cookies_required' | t }}</p>
</header>

new code:

<header class="section-header text-center">
<h1 class="text-center">{{ 'cart.general.title' | t }}</h1>
<hr class="hr--small">
<p class="cart--empty-message">{{ 'cart.general.empty' | t }}</p>
<p class="cart--continue-browsing">{{ 'cart.general.continue_browsing_html' | t: link: routes.root_url }}</p>
<p class="cookie-message">{{ 'cart.general.cookies_required' | t }}</p>
</header>

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Were you able to figure this out? We have multiple collections and when customers want to "continue shopping" as per the button in the cart, I want them redirected to the collection they were previously viewing. 

Highlighted
1 0 0

In the new version, it's no longer in Templates --> cart.liquid, but to make changes in Sections --> cart-template.liquid in around line 6. 

But thank you for the help. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I have the exact same issue!
Were you able to figure it out?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

Hi! - I hope I can describe the solution and why you need to re-direct shoppers back to a specific page, rather than the route from the page preceding being in the shopping cart.

If the app restricted everyone's movement very tightly, and shoppers could use only a single path to get from point to point, such as "you can only enter the shopping cart through a product listing," then it would be easy to route that person back to the previous shopping page.

In reality, the shopper can get to the cart from several points because the CART option is always present. Maybe the shopper just read a blog or page and decided. By clicking the CART, he could go into the cart and if the return was "hardwired," meaning that leaving the cart would bring him back to the previous page, he'd go to the bog, or perhaps some other area that was not related to shopping.

Now, examine your site - look around for all the links to get into or out of the cart. Even if you are in the final stages of checking out, there are links to various places around the site and maybe your customer wants to go to one of those, rather than a product page. And let's say your customer already put something in the cart and is ready to buy something different. Why would you want him to go back to the selection he's already made which would require more clicks to get him where he wants to go?

From the customers standpoint, it is better to point him to some standard page in your site, rather than a random page based on where he went, than where he wants to go. To make "where he came from" an absolute, there needs to be an EXIT link that when shown, all other link options would have to disappear. It would be easy to program the EXIT link to go to the previous page. As it stands, there is no logic in the world to predict where the customer wants to go because by clicking links to leave the cart, he can go anywhere.

For me, the link to go back to my home page makes sense because I have a small site. Yours might be larger. 

If we had a lot of freedom, exiting from the CART could go to a decision page that includes buttons that say  [Return to previous page] ... [Return to Home page] ... [Return to XYZ page]  which would give the customer some options. Shopify doesn't have that. Instead, it just gives the customer multiple options of where to return to, and it doesn't know where you want to go, so it can provide only one option, such as "return to previous page" or "return to a specific page" and it is up to you to figure out where you'd like that customer to go.

soccer-views_0-1606058120893.png