Change country selected by default in the checkout process

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Shopifiers!

I'm looking the way to change country selected by default in the checkout process. Is it possible? How?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
348 67 112

Hey, @redels!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Great question. In most cases, you won't be able to select/edit the country shown in the checkout by default. Shopify uses 4 factors to determine which country shows first in the checkout.

1. If the customer used the login feature, the address associated with the account will get filled in automatically.
  2. If the store doesn't need the customer to log in, yet your store is geolocated. The country showed up is based on the customer's IP address. If you're unsure if your store is geolocated, it means your store isn't. This requires either a unique set of code customization or a third-party app to achieve this. 
  3. If none of the above apply, the default country showed is the most popular country from your online traffic. You can check the most popular countries by Shopify admin > Analytics > Dashboards. Update the date range to last 90 days at the top left.
    12_18-dbdnj-dbi1x
    At the "Online store sessions by location" card, you can see which country is visiting you the most. Here's an example.
    12_15-9021e-m445j
    In this case, Canada will be the default country in the checkout.
  4. If your store is new, it's in alphabetical order. For instance, Afghanistan or the first available country in shipping destinations that are set by you.

If your store is at point 4, you can edit the default country by editing your available shipping destinations. Remember, it comes out in alphabetical order. This means depending on which shipping zones you have, the country that shows up is most likely going to be the one starts with A, B, or C (or whichever country assorted through the order).

I hope this information helps. However, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes