Changing Shopify Store Name

1 0 0

I had reserved wearyourmessagestore on Shopify, but my developer set up wearmymesssagestore on Shopify in error. How do i go about changing my store name from wearmymessage to wearyourmessage?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
761 56 179

Hey, @wym!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out. 

Are you able to clarify what you mean by "reserving" your store name on Shopify? Do you mean that you had signed up for a free trial using that particular store name, while your developer opened another store? If that's the case, I should clarify that the myshopify.com URL serves as a unique identifier for your store, so it cannot be changed. However, there are some workarounds here.

If you've already created a store with the correct name, then you can continue working on that particular store and simply provide your developer with collaborator access. This will allow them to login and continue helping you with the store setup. If they've already put a lot of work into the store with the incorrect name, then they can download the theme file they've worked on and upload it into the correct store. Keep in mind that certain customizations made in the theme editor, like images that have been added, won't transfer over with the theme file. 

For this reason, it might be a better idea to stick with the store that your developer created if they have already put in a lot of work. Although this means that your myshopify.com URL will still be the same, you can change your store name in Settings > General, which will update the store name that customers see on each page of your website.

You can also purchase a custom domain, which is what most merchants choose to do. This will remove the "myshopify.com" part, making your domain look much more professional and concise. When customers access your website, the custom domain will be what they see in the address bar of their browser.

Whether you choose to continue with the store your developer created is totally up to you and would be worth discussing with your developer. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much if the myshopify.com URL has a typo; your myshopify.com URL is typically only used for login and authentication purposes, and customers will not see it if you purchase a custom domain.

I hope this clears things up! Feel free to let me know which route you end up taking.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes