Collection Pages Slow to Load

Robert_Dixon
1 0 0

I know this question has been raised in the past but I have run out of ideas!

I have done the usual things PageSpeed Insights are 84/100 Mobile 90/100 Desktop and all the images are around 50-70kb. I have also set the collection pages to load the minimum about of images.

But, I notice the initial load can take up to 10 seconds but once cached the page will re-load fine. However, if I return to the same page 20 mins later the problem has returned. 

Not sure where to go from here? Any advice would be much appreciated. Here are the links in question....

https://callisidogcollars.co.uk/collections/king-cobra-style-1

https://callisidogcollars.co.uk/collections/apollo-range

0 Likes
Matthew_Skala1
Shopify Partner
103 0 15

Yes, I see the delay when I visit your collection pages, and as you describe, it only happens on the first load.  Looking at my browser's Web tools it appears that the delay is in Shopify's own server before it returns a response at all - browser makes the initial request, there's 10 or 12 seconds before Shopify responds, and then everything proceeds normally.  That suggests the delay is in some internal cache belonging to Shopify.  It has to process the templates or whatever to generate the HTML code that gets passed to the content distribution network, and then once that is done, further loads are fast.

I don't know exactly what could cause that and really only someone internal to Shopify would be able to know for sure.  (Good luck getting a straight answer from their support team!)  However, by looking at the HTML of your page, I notice that there's a whole lot of Javascript and CSS included inline instead of being loaded from URLs, and that seems unusual.  There are even some HTML comments implying that it was done on purpose by "optimization" tools.  I wonder if it's a good idea.  Other pages on the Web and on Shopify (for instance, those in my own store) do not do that.  If Shopify's template engine has to load the resources from somewhere in order to put together your page - and especially if it has to in any way validate them - that could cause a delay to fill the cache.

I'm not sure that having styles and Javascript inline really saves any time when the linked resources would be served off the same CDN on a reused connection; inlining could even slow things down because of preventing the browser from using parallel connections, apart from the template-substitution and validation delay.  So if it's under your control to stop doing that and have your CSS and Javascript be linked in the usual way instead of included inline, maybe it would be worth a try.

0 Likes
AmericanPatriot
Tourist
6 0 0

Thanks for posting this. This is also happening with my website American Patriots Apparel - www.AmericanPatriotsApparel.com (Type SAVE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order).

I have even paid for a company to speed up my site and it seemed to work better for a little bit but then it slowed down again. I have seen customers wait up to 12 seconds for the next collection page to load and I have tried to keep the number of products on each page to a minimum relatively speaking. If this is a problem with Shopify, they need to fix it because I am sure it is negatively effecting countless businesses on their platform. In addition, after paying for that company to speed up my site, I still am listed with a Speed Score of only 18 (shown on Online Store > Themes. The company says to ignore that score for some reason yet I feel like it is more accurate than they are leading on. You said your site speed is 84/100 Mobile 90/100 Desktop. May I ask what steps you took to get that amazing speed score for your website? Also, I have over 1,110 products with countless more variants. I am wondering how big your site is in comparison and if that might have something to do with my sites slow load times for collection pages.

Thanks In Advance.

0 Likes
AmericanPatriot
Tourist
6 0 0

Thanks for posting this. This is also happening with my website American Patriots Apparel - www.AmericanPatriotsApparel.com (Type SAVE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order).

I have even paid for a company to speed up my site and it seemed to work better for a little bit but then it slowed down again. I have seen customers wait up to 12 seconds for the next collection page to load and I have tried to keep the number of products on each page to a minimum relatively speaking. If this is a problem with Shopify, they need to fix it because I am sure it is negatively effecting countless businesses on their platform. In addition, after paying for that company to speed up my site, I still am listed with a Speed Score of only 18 (shown on Online Store > Themes. The company says to ignore that score for some reason yet I feel like it is more accurate than they are leading on. You said your site speed is 84/100 Mobile 90/100 Desktop. May I ask what steps you took to get that amazing speed score for your website? Also, I have over 1,110 products with countless more variants. I am wondering how big your site is in comparison and if that might have something to do with my sites slow load times for collection pages.

Thanks In Advance.

0 Likes