Collection of collections

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hello Everyone!

Newby here!

Is it possible to create a collection of collections?  What I'd like to be able to do is have a "Master" collection that we'll call Cables... this collection would then contain "Sub" collections of different types of cables microphone, DMX, HD-SDI, etc... This way I could use the "master" collections in a collection list on the home page vs. having an exorbitant amount of collection in that list,  I've been able to sort it out like that with menu items but haven't been able to find a way to do what I just described.  Thanks in advance for any insight,  

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
248 9 58

Shopify doesn't have a built in easy way to do subcategories, but it does have the open flexibility to allow it to be implemented in various ways.

Essentially there is no hierarchy enforced. So your collections are like a giant "flat" pool of collections. It's up to you or the theme developer then to find a way to "relate" parent and child collections to each other.

What I did on my store is I have a linklist/nav list for each main category, e.g. if the main category is "shoes" I might have a "subcats-shoes" list. This list will then list/point to the sub-category collections of shoes. Then on the theme, wherever you find it appropriate e.g. across the page or whatever, add some liquid code to first find out if there is a linklist by using e.g. the handle of the collection with "subcats-" in front of it.... if there is a linklist with that name ie it has links, then go through the links and "build" a strip of subcategories on the page. Such as e.g. an image and a collection name both of which link to the subcategory. You could also dip into the subcategory using a for loop in liquid to pull out the first product's first image to use as the thumbnail.

An alternative way is to use some metafields on each collection to build a hierarchy ie a field points to its children collections. You read the metafield in liquid and then build a menu of some kind.

But either someone is going to have to code that for you or you'll need an app or something.

I'm kind of surprised that not many themes seem to support the handling of subcategories in a way that larger ecommerce sites require.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 123

Hey, Benton!

I’m Lizzy, a Guru on Shopify’s support team.

Paul has given you some great advice here on different ways to set up sub categories. In a similar vein to this suggestion, we have a tutorial that you can read here, which explains how to feature a subset of collections on a page. It uses an alternate template and menus.

The tutorial does require a little bit of coding. If you're uncomfortable making adjustments to the code yourself you can reach out to a Shopify Expert. If you are comfortable making the change yourself I always like to suggest duplicating your theme before making any changes. You can do this by going to Online Store>Actions>Duplicate. Just in case.

Using the built in collection lists section on the homepage, you can often add up to 9 collections depending on the theme. While this isn't an endless amount, it is often more than will fit onto a screen. With many people accessing sites from mobile devices as well, you may find it helpful to showcase a smaller amount of popular collections on the homepage with links to the master list. This you could create using the guide I've linked above.

Would this be a good option for what you're trying to set up?

Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hey Lizzy,

I actually saw how to set up a subset of categories on a page and successfully did that, the problem I'm running into is that I'm unable to feature that page (or other pages like it) in a collection list on the homepage.  Is there a workaround that would make this possible?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hey Paul!  

Thanks so much for the insight!

BEN

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 123

Hey Benton.

As this option means that your collections are set up using a page, using the collection list section wouldn't work as it is currently set up. You would need to create a custom section to be able to pull the information from the page to the homepage.

What you could do is set up a collection list that contains a few of the top collections from the Master page and then add a link in like this.

13-59-80gxv-glmfw

If you're using a Shopify developed theme, on a paid plan, this is something our themes team could look into adding for you. Let me know if you'd like me to send a request to them on your behalf! Every paid account has up to 60 minutes of free design time for small adjustments on Shopify developed themes. You can read more about our design policy here. 

Feel free to share any questions about what I've said.

Thank you,

Lizzy

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

@Lizzy 

I'd love to see if the theme could be customized to add a pages list on the homepage.  The featured collections don't really work for me due to the number of collections and how they are broken down into sub-collections, hence the reason for wanting a "collection of collections".  I'd actually love the ability to create a page dedicated to each master category with links to their respective collections on each page,  

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 123

This is an accepted solution.

I've checked in for you, however our team wouldn't be able to build a new section for the home page with the free design time that we offer. For something like this we would suggest reaching out to a Shopify Partner, or Shopify Expert to custom code the section for you.

Alternatively there are page builder apps available in the app store that you could use to drag and drop elements into a homepage design. You can find those here. There are a few different options, with different features available. If an app sounds like the best option, I recommend taking a look at a few and reading the reviews to see which one would work best for your business.

There are also some themes with sections that act like a gallery. With these you can set up images and link them to pages you've created. Debut, for example, has a section called "Logo List" where you could add in an image related to the Master collection and link it to the collections page. This would essentially be a list of links to pages. In Debut you can add up to 20 images there. I've included a screenshot of what they could look like below.

Let me know if you have any questions about these options!

Lizzy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3
Thanks Lizzy!
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello,

A have the same problem. Our company has 3000+ products, and I need somehow to order our products in collections and "subcollection".

A read that example, that the Debut theme has a "Logo list" section where I can put some images with links to the collection.

My question is: if I create a page how can I put there the Logo list section. 
At the home page it works fine, but at the page customize section I doesnt have this option.

Thank you!

1 Like