Collection titles, using images instead?

Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Before I bog my site down, I was able to comment out my collection headers when a customer views the individual product categories but I am curious.. will using photos in the collection description as the collections "hero" title dramatically slow my website down? I think the black font to the top left of my collection header image looks pointless... and a picture livens it up alot, but I dont want to lose speed if i have 20-30 collections and images in all of them as the collection description. Any insight would be great! Thank you

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
809 67 190

Images above-the-fold contribute to load speed yes, but I think on collection pages it's worth it to increase conversion rate.

Just make sure to:

- Compress your images (here's how if you're not familiar: https://speedboostr.com/how-to-compress-images-on-shopify/

- Ensure you're loading a smaller image on mobile than desktop. I recommend 600px on mobile and 1200px on desktop as an optimal balance for performance / resolution

- Add back in the name of the collection somewhere and use the <h1> tag (this helps SEO). I like to do this above the collection description (change the size smaller with CSS, bc <h1> by default will be large)

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like