Color shifts in uploaded photos

Laurie_Nickerso
Tourist
13 0 2

Okay, I think I am going nuts. I am using the Canopy Theme, and when I upload a photo for a new listing, it seems like the color shifts as soon as it is selected as the main image. It becomes duller and grayer. It's not a lot, but I need to have accurate colors because I sell dyed fabrics. I don't know if I am going crazy, or if there is something in the theme that automatically "edits" the photos to give it more "mood" or something. At first I thought it was an issue with the photos converting from a cmyk color to rgb, but the photos I'm uploading are in an RGB color format already. Am I going nuts? Or is there something built into the theme? And if there is,  how do I change it? 

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 50 141

Hey, @Laurie_Nickerso

Tira here to help.

It sounds like you’re using a third-party theme, these themes are developed by third-party developers and would be supported by the third-party developer. I recommend reaching out to the developer, Clean Canvas, for help with your specific theme through their contact form.

We have seen image color discrepancies when images are uploaded to the admin and this happens when an image is not saved using an sRGB color space. Typical print media displays best in CMYK (Cyan Magenta Yellow Black) colors, and on digital web browsers, devices are synced with sRGB (standard Red Green Blue) colors. This means that using images with an sRGB colour profile is the best way to guarantee that image appears the same on all types of screens, websites and devices. The web is optimized to interpret sRGB colours, so any images in sRGB will appear more saturated and clear when compared to a non-optimized RGB image, which sounds like this may be happening for you here. 

We have a tutorial that outlines the steps on how you can fix the colors of your image using Adobe Software: Fix the colors of uploaded images. You can learn more about color profiles on Adobe’s website here: Color profiles.

Alternatively, images can be edited in a photo editing software and the “Web Optimized” option can be selected when saving your image. If you’re looking for some photo editing options, we have a list of them in our blog here: The Top 16 Paid and Free Photo Editors Online in 2021.

If you’re looking for places to source fabric from, we do have a blog post that covers the basics of fabric sourcing, where to source and commonly asked questions here: How to Source Fabric For Your Clothing Line.

I would love to hear how this works for you!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes